Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Coffee consumption? Login/Join

Picture of Kathryn06
posted   Report This Post  
How much do you consume? I just can't completely quit, so I would like to get some kind of a notion of how much is minimally damaging. May I just have one very strong "grande" size per day after a good breakfast? Is it really such a bete noire to an anti-aging regimen?
Picture of Zuzu's Petals
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I've heard that there have been studies that show that coffee contains nice levels of antioxidants.

I think that if you are strung out on caffeine all day (which some people are) it can't be good for your health or looks. But one coffee, granted a strong one, is not going to wreck your beauty (particularly if you really enjoy it.) Green tea, which is supposed to be very good for you, contains a good amount of caffeine. I'm not suggesting that you switch to green tea - just enjoy your coffee, girl!

Zuzu

On ne voit pas qu'avec le coeur
Hi Kathryn,

I used to think I could never give up my daily coffee, despite many tries. For many years I had two large cups of brewed coffee per day. Last year I dropped down to 2 cups of organic freeze dried coffee, and this year I've been having 2 cups of green tea most days or a cup of coffee some days. The result is I'm sleeping better; I don't have such a "crash" by 11 am, and my whole digestive system is better.

My main motivation was that while coffee has antioxidents, it is tough on the digestion. Also green tea has many health benefits that I didn't want to miss out on.

I agree that a cup of coffee isn't bad and probably has benefits. Just wanted to share my story as a person who has cut back on a pretty strong coffee habit (at least for now)!
Picture of Kathrynn
Hi,
I was a big coffee drinker, and I did remove it from my diet. I have gone back to having one cup in the morning, and it doesn't seem to affect me. If I have any more than that, I'm tired in the afternoons and I don't sleep well at night. I also seem to get more headaches. I drink a coffee substitute during the day, even thought it took ages for me to get used to. I sometimes add a little hazelnut flavouring which is quite nice. I wish I could like green tea more.
There are studies showing coffee can be estrogenic (hmmm, what ISN'T??), but more worisome was a study that women that drank more than 2 cups a day were prone to osteoporosis.

I have not studied coffee in depth, but try to limit it to 1/2 or 1 cup a day. I have gotten rather used to barley coffee and like it just fine.

I recently have gone 100% barley coffee b/c I wanted to start guarana. It has a type of caffeine in it, but can decrease the number of fat cells you have. So I would rather take that and drink barley coffee! Big Grin
Picture of Zuzu's Petals
I just don't have the discipline (or will) to cut out all the bad stuff. I guess that I'm rationalizing with the antioxidants, but I did read that in several places. On the balance, you're probably better off without coffee, just depends where you rank it on "quality of life" scale.

Zuzu

Deb,

I think I knew you were anti-coffe, but wasn't sure why. Like ZuZu, I guess I didn't have the will or desire to cut out ALL coffee, especially since I need the energy in the morning Frowner ,so I at least cut it to 1/2 cup, which I thought would be "ok."

Maybe not??

Well, that makes me mad about guarana b/c lef.org specifically goes on about how it decreases the number of fat cells in your body. They recommend taking it with CLA.

To be honest, I don't like guarana at all! I've taken it for a little over a week and it makes me more jittery than drinking even 1-2 cups of coffee (contrary to the claims that it it will make you less jittery than coffee.) It also makes me feel sort of nervous or wound up, if you know what I mean.

My response doesn't make sense to me if it's chemically the same composition as caffeine. Is is even *slightly* different?

At any rate, if it not going to decrease fat cells, I am going to stop taking it as I prefer my 1/2 cup coffee, and when I need a boost (like I did this weekend when I had to compete on 6 hours of sleep...), then 2 cups gives me energy and "lift" without that awful jittery, nervous feeling.

If you have a clue what's going on with me, please let me know!

The other thing is about liposuction. I was told that even if you reduce the number of fat cells, if you eat the same amount of calories, you will still have the same amount of fat in the places it was removed as the remaining cells will simply fill up more. Is this true?? I have not checked out lipo very seriously, so I am not well informed in that area.

And I have not forgotten your emails, but this weekend was WAY too hectic for me to get to them! I was even late getting my work done. Eeker I will catch up soon, though, as I have some new info about the mandelic.
Picture of Kathryn06
For almost one year, I drank nothing but green tea and, especially, Raja's Cup, a coffee substitute that is actually quite good. Everything from skin to mood to digestion did seem to improve, but I backslid nonetheless! It is very interesting to hear about others' alternative substances/rituals.
Picture of Zuzu's Petals
I used to drink Raja's cup as well, Kathryn. I forgot all about it.
I actually felt great when I was drinking it, though I'm not sure that it was the Raja's cup that was completely responsible for my feeling of well being Wink
Is it still available? I haven't seen it in forever!

Zuzu

Picture of Kathryn06
Yes, I buy Raja's Cup at a little organic grocery co-op not far from here. I like it b/c you can brew it just like coffee. I think I got turned on to it through an Ayurvedic website. Antioxidant rich.
Oh, I looked at that, but it was $20/jar, so I passed!

quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn06:
Yes, I buy Raja's Cup at a little organic grocery co-op not far from here. I like it b/c you can brew it just like coffee. I think I got turned on to it through an Ayurvedic website. Antioxidant rich.
I really like the NADH a lot! It does give a boost without jitters or anything. I like the 10 mg sublingual the best. I often take just 1/2 tablet.

I am just used to my 1/2 cup coffee. I think my circadium rythyms are messed up as I get more energy in the middle of the night and feel awful when I get up, regardless of how much sleep I get. If I tried to go to bed at a normal time and took the cortisol at "normal" hours, perhaps it would straighten out. My doc has not told me to do this, though.

I am really upset that lef.org would state lies! I often go to them for info and I've always trusted them.

I was taking a standardized extract, 900 mg per table, which contained 1-2 times the amount of caffeine in 1 cup of coffe the bottle said. So, I took 1/2 tablet only, which should be about 1 times the amount of 1 cup of coffe at most, correct? I thought that would be equal to 1 cup of coffee.

Like I said, I can drink 2 cups of coffee without ill effect although I generally only drink 1/2 cup. So I'm not sure why it would affect me that way. Maybe for me it does have some strange interaction with NADH, although coffee doesn't.

Yes, I have Tonalin. I bought Jarrow from my local health food store but I have seen the NSI brand and will get it when I place another order. I take 4000 mg actually, but the info I read said to take it all in the morning. I take it that is not correct?? (I got that off lef.org, too, but I think it's because they were suggesting stuff like fat blockers and carb blockers later in the day, which would block the CLA as well.)

Re: fat storage, I guess then I could get rid of the areas I don't like with lipo and keep it off, since I don't generally overeat. Woo hoo! Now to save up for it...

quote:
Originally posted by DebbieNIR:
Hi Kathleen,

Does the NaDH taken in the morning not give you that coffee boost without the caffeine? You mentioned you were trying it.

That is pathetic that lef.org would promote such crap. No stimulant can change anatomy. You have to have those babies sucked out (or cut out in the case of more invasive procedures)through surgery or they are there for life!

It is true than all the fat cells left after liposuction in a certain body area will certainly fill with fat, IF you eat more calories than you burn off. But, they will not fill with fat if you are just eating the proper amount to maintain your weight. You do not store bodyfat unless you eat more than you use!

Slim people generally have the same number of fat cells as obese people, it just depends how full the fat cells are.

Disclaimer: There are reasons such as medications, hormone problems, etc. that cause increased fat storage, through different mechanisms than simply eating too many calories. I do not wish to diminish these frustrating problems. I know that you are very slim, Kathleen, so you would not have an issue with fat storage.

How many mgs of guarana are you taking. What is the standardised amount of active listed on the supplement? Perhaps you are ingesting more stimulant than you were previously, in 1-2 small cups of coffee?

It is also possible that you are particularly sensitive to the stimulant alkaloid in this form, or that it is a mixture of the new supplements you are taking.

CLA is awesome, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a healthy fatty acid that also aids in a weight loss/lean muscle maintenance plan.

It is not a stimulant at all. It is conjugated linoleic acid. Make sure the supplier of the raw material CLA is Tonalin (registered trademark). The name brand of the supplement is not as important as if they are buying their raw material as Tonalin, and that you are taking 1000 mg three times a day. (That is usually 3 gelcaps.)

I use the Vitacost NSI brand. The price rocks and it is Tonalin!

Deb Smiler
Deb,

I just saw the other day that vitacost.com is promoting the same information about guarana and reduction in number of adicopytes!

Apparently, there was some study done with mice. I looked it up at lef.org and there are cites to it.

I am not familiar enough with human physiolgy to know what is possible and what is impossible, but it doesn't seem that both these sites would outright lie.

Although the persons conducting the studies may have.