Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What foods do you eat for health and beauty? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
We all know (I think) about the benefits of eating Wild Alaskan salmon, but what other great health and beauty foods do you eat?
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hooter's wings.

LOL Big Grin Just kidding. You mean long-term healthy as opposed to a fake quick-fix pick-me-up, I know.

This is an interesting question for me, one I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. What exaclty do I like that's healthy? I infintely prefer to eat junk food. Junk food is my last, and most nagging addiction--even when I've managed to eat healthy for weeks or months it ultimately comes back to bite me in the behind. I'd almost rather quit drinking again. It's that bad for me. I'm the worst kind of recidivist with junk food.

BUT...to answer the question properly...one of my very favorite healthy things to eat is the yogurt/mixed berry/protien powder smoothie I picked up from reading Barry Sears. I put crushed flaxseeds and nuts in it, fish oil, probiotics...it's very healthy and very yum! It gets me out the door quickly in the morning (I can drink it while I'm getting dressed if necessary), and fills me up for hours. I know some people don't like the dairy, but I don't seem to have a problem with it. IMHO it's a great way to start the day!
Oh, but chocolate is good for the soul! So, IMP, chocolate is a health food, too!

Sorry, guys, I resisted my first impulse on my first read of Deb's 1st response -> Deb, I was gonna ask you "but where's the chocolate?"

And, thanks for the info re yoghurt - my youngest seems to be having a problem with dairy lately & we're wondering if she's lactose intolerant.

Best,
Jana Smiler
Deb--you are not nearly as pathetic as me! Big Grin I was having this huge existential debate over the ramifications of eating Hooter's wings when I read Desert Flower's question. I was jonesing big time. And don't you know, I lost that debate after I posted my answer! Alas...Hooter's is all too close to my house and I have a wet noodle for a backbone. I hied my behind around the corner and got the gut bombs. Frowner Oh well...tomorrow is another day!

Speaking of chocolate, I would count that "Chocolate Dream" stuff by Rejuvenative Foods as a health and beauty food. It's probably kind of high glycemic because of the honey, but everything's organic and the nut butters the paste is based on are totally unrefined and good sources of EFA's. The cocoa is also a deep, rich brown and I'm sure rich in the alkaloids that are supposed to be good for us. It's very good. I've eaten a disturbing amount out of that big jar since I bought it. No milk in it, either. Maybe you could try it? They have it mixed with all kinds of stuff, including raw almond butter, raw hemp butter, and raw tahini. So maybe it's not just good for the soul, but also good for the bod!

Jana--sorry to hear about your daughter. Are you going to have her tested? Maybe she'd like the Chocolate Dream, too. I'm betting you would. Wink
Amy, you are about to convince me that I have to try your "Chocolate Dream." I know you've talked about it on another thread - was it one of our late nighters? Alternatively, do I just do a search for "Rejuvenative Foods?"

And, yep, we're going to get her tested, if I can get her to go to the doc. She hates doctors and would rather treat it herself. I don't know anything about lactose intolerance and so will have to educate myself.

Btw, ate some Hershey's tonight!

Geez, just noticed I typed "IMP" instead of "IMO" in my last post - did I have you guys wondering what "IMP" meant? Razzer
Yep, it was during one of our late-nighters. The best time for discussing chocolate. And nope, I knew it was a typo. Wink

Tryyyy iiiittt...you'll liiiiike iiiittt...
Oh good grief, this thread is giving me the urge to go out and buy some Nutella! I personally think Nutella should be listed as a controlled substance, but that's coming from someone who has zip self-control when presented with anything with cocoa and hazelnuts in in it. Actually, I'm on a low-GI chat group (mainly as a lurker), and a few months ago, there was a discussion of what people who are strictly adhering to a low-GI diet eat when they simply have to taste something sinful...many of them went for a tablespoon of Nutella. I rarely buy Nutella -- if it is there, I will eat it.

But when I'm being good, I love dark leafy greens, particularly kale. I also like making miso soup with lots of veggies in the winter. Fresh herbs, organically grown in my garden, are a great summertime treat -- they make everything taste like sunshine.

Happy St. Patty's Day, everyone!Big Grin

jeanne
Picture of Dave
quote:
Originally posted by DebbieNIR:
- no dairy

- no soy

- no gluten grains except organic steel cut oats

I'm wondering why you think these are bad. Now, I understand if you're lactose or gluten intolerant. But for people who can digest these foods properly, why are they bad? Gluten grains have been used for thousands of years as a staple in various cultures with no apparent negative effects. Dairy is high in protein and calcium. And soy has a number of beneficial effects, as far as I understand, although I also understand that it is also digested differently by different people. Some produce equol, for example, and some don't.

I have a weird food intolerance. I can't eat certain fruits -- apples, pears, plumbs, nectarines, strawberries and peaches. Or rather, I can't eat them raw. If I do, I have an allergic-like reaction, itchy throat, watery itchy eyes, and a feeling of nausea. I can eat grapes, bananas, and citrus with no problems, and I can eat all of the "bad" fruits cooked, or even raw with other foods. Sometimes this weird intolerance shows up when I eat raw carrots as well, although I'm more tolerant of them.

So I understand food intolerances, but if your body digests dairy, gluten and soy with no problems, then I'm not sure I see why these would be bad for you.

Also, I wonder if there are different ways of eating that are better for each gender. For example, men typically like red meat more than women do. But men have higher protein needs than women do. Are those two things related? I know there are other and better sources of protein, but it seems to me there may be a connection. Could a diet higher in red meat (but still not as high as the typical American diet) be healthier for men than women?

Deb, do you really eat nothing glycemic. I'm sure a piece of pie or a dish of ice cream once a week is good for me. Smiler

-------------------------------------
A song don't have much meaning when it don't have nothin' to say, what she could do was magic son, all I could do was play. -- Harry Chapin
Dave--just my $.02, cuz Deb knows best about what she bases her arguments on. But it is my understanding that those foods (soy, dairy, gluten) have a very high incidence of generating allergic response in a rather large proportion of the population. And by allergic response I don't just mean an anaphylactic or histimine response...I think there are also deleterious physiological/biochemical changes that can happen, without someone manifesting overt physical symptoms.

BUT...I seem to eat all of those things with impunity. And I will continue to do so until I manifest some overt symptoms. Big Grin Although, honestly, bread just doesn't do it for me, so I don't eat a whole lot of wheat or gluten products just because that's my preference. It's got nothing to do with it being a potential allergen or inflammatory.

Based on what I've read, however, I can understand why people might want to swear off of them, if that's their choice.

That is weird about your fruit intolerance, too. That's something you don't hear about every day. Wink
Picture of greenapple

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greenapple,
quote:
Originally posted by greenapple:
1 day juice fast once a week is great: your face will glow!

I'm curious about a healthy 1-day juice fasting protocol. There are times when I start to feel that it would be a healthy thing, since this time of the year my job is busy and crazy and for whatever reason, doing a 1-day fast sounds purifying. I work out and probably get a mile of walking outdoors (rain, shine, sleet, snow!)over my lunch hours, so I sweat, move and keep things circulating, but I'd like to try a fasting day over a weekend. It's something I should try relatively soon, since warm weather is on its way and I'll be working very hard to get my garden space ready in a few short weeks, Big Grin and I'd be hesitant to try a fast on a day when I'm physically active for long periods of time. Tips and opinions would be eagerly read!

jeanne Smiler Big Grin
Picture of Dave
Well, I don't have mood disorders, and I don't have any identifiable problems from eating gluten or dairy, so perhaps I'm just one of those people who can eat them with impunity and benefit from the good things they do contain.

-------------------------------------
A song don't have much meaning when it don't have nothin' to say, what she could do was magic son, all I could do was play. -- Harry Chapin
Desert Flower,

For me, it is not a matter of what I eat but what I don't eat! I don't eat processed, refined food and I don't eat high glycemic food. I don't think there is any food I purposely consume ONLY because it is healthy (except cod liver oil, which I suppose it a food tecnically, although I think of it as a supplement).

I do eat berries because they are full of antioxidants and low-glycemic, but also because they taste good! Big Grin

Oh, and I do eat organic and free range food specifically for health benefits, but I don't single out certain foods within that for health benefits unless I also like them!

I guess 1 more thing is that I do consciously try to get my 5-9 servings of fruit and veggies/day. But again, I only eat the ones I like and are low glycemic. (I do eat squash once in a while with dinner even if it's not very low glycemic.)

Kathleen
I eat lots and lots of Japanese food, which is excellent and plentiful in the area that I live. Wild fish and organic vegetables make up a large part of my diet, and I drink lots of sencha (green tea.) I love japanese steamed rice, though I try not to overdo it. I also incorporate seaweed into my diet, and I have learned to make delicious salads with seaweed. I've also learned to enjoy different sakes - they have such beautiful names (like "Night of Shooting Stars".) Smiler

Jil
Picture of greenapple

Picture of greenapple

Picture of greenapple

greenapple --

Thanks for the book recommendation and forum references. Like I said, a one-day juice fast sounds like something very cleansing to do. For me, it's also a way to reprogram my thinking about eating -- doing a clean diet the week before, and continuing more healthful eating after the fast.

Cheers! (with a glass of juice, that is!)

jeanne Smiler
Deb,

No, I don't eat dairy, soy or most gluten. Thanks for reminding me! I guess I think of those (except soy...) as "personal" because I do not seem to digest them well and end up with allergy symptoms. I didn't think specifically of not eating them for general health or beauty! Smiler

As for soy, I think it should be banned, lol! But seriously, I think the way it is manufactured in this country is awful and it does awful things to infants when used as their formula. But for me, it all started when I couldn't breathe after drinking soymilk, I was so congested.

So, no, I haven't started eating those things again! I DO eat 2 slices of sprouted bread AM with almond butter for breakfast, though. Big Grin

Kathleen
Oh my, I eat way too much of this stuff! I was trying to cut calories by getting rid of the almond butter, but I couldn't take it anymore, lol.

Kathleen