Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Pilates Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
As my endurance horse training is about to start for the season, time will not permit me to be in the gym on a daily basis until the fall. I am wondering if Pilates would be something I could do at home and wondered if someone could recommend a good Pilates video that I could purchase. Thanks in advance.

KathyC Smiler
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi Deb, I was hoping you'd respond!! No, I have never tried Pilates, but a lady I ride horses with says she has been doing it and loves it. I was in Blockbuster Video on the weekend and saw a few different ones but didn't know where to start. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks so much! Smiler
Thanks Deb. I knew I could count on you!! Big Grin I checked out the Pilates for Dummies and will pick it up today at Walmart. I'm pretty sure the ones in Blockbuster were by Kathy Smith and I was checking out the Pilates for Lower Body one. I might get that one after I've become familiar with the exercises. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again! Smiler
Got it! Smiler
HI all

I just joined this group and also just started using skinbio products. I have been doing Pilates for 6 years and I loved it so much that I went through a year long teacher training program and now teach Pilates parttime. I love Pilates - it has chanegd my body in many ways. One of the best video's on the market is by Mari Windsor. She has infomercials all over the place. There are some others and I will try to get names. I am not familiar with the videos of any mentioned ( Kathy Smith, etc) but I can say there is wide interpretation of the work of Joseph Pilates and not everyone teaches real pilates. Its become so trendy that everyone is getting on the Pilates wagon. I could go on for an hour about the differences... the important thing is to determine how the instructor learned Pilates. There are people certified a a weekend! Mine took a year. I would highly recommed to anyone that they try to find a mat class locally and I'd be happy to guide anyone to find one!!
Karen
Hi Deb

It sounds like you know quite a bit about Pilates. I was actually trained in what is called either Authentic Pilates ( which is a terrible name) or Classical Pilates. I was certified by Romana Kryzanowska who was taught by Joe ( Pilates) himself from the 1940's until he died. She's a living PIlates Master although ther are others. I haven't personally viewed Mari Winsor's tapes. Another Master TEacher I trained with has gone down to LA to work with her and her teachers so I know she teaches our classical method well> From what I've seen on the infomercials she adheres to Joe's work well although it rubs me the wrong way that she calls it her Pilates and her dynamic sequencing and its Joe's that he invented 50 years ago! I am going to research some good videos for this group. There is a good book called " The Pilates Body" by Brooke Siler of Re:AB in NY. I know its not the same as a tape to watch but its very good - maybe as an adjunct. I just advise anyone who will take a class to really look at what kind of training the teacher had!
nite for now
Picture of Kathrynn
I love the winsor Pilates. I don't really know much about it except that its working. I really feel it helped lift my stomach (along with the copper peptides) and doesnt seem to interfere with my neck which was injured years ago
Deb,

Not everyone responds to Pilates but I think it has something to do with the instruction/instructor. I am glad to hear Brooke Siler is coming out with DVD's - her book is very good and we sell it at our studio here in Seattle. Pilates is tough to learn without benefit of an instructor with you. I did a Pilates video for a year before I started lessons and I knew nothing. I was a professional ballet dancer and understand the body well. It took several years to really integrat the concepts of Pilates, the use of "Powerhouse" into my body, to really understand it well. And Pilates still kinks my a... regularly. Butm it is not, I repeat, NOT, a weight burning exercise unless you are working at a VERY advanced level which most people will never do. You can sweat, but it is not aerobic and should be combined or support other activities. Joe Pilates designed it as an adjunct to other athletic activity which is why so many dancers and athletes do Pilates as part of their regular fitness regime. Oprha did a show this past week on weight loss and she does Pilates but stated you need to do cardio activity to lose weight. So don't let anyone teaching Pilates try to tell otherwise. That said, when I practice Pilates 4-5 times a week I feel better and stronger in every way. I also am less resistent to sickness. I guess I can't say enough!
Gyrotonics is very good too. I have done a bit of pilates, and prefer the more circular/spiral movements on gyrotonics as opposed to the more forward/backward movements (generally speaking) in pilates. However, that being said, I think both are great.
I have been doing Winsor Pilates for over 3 years now and it did help to build strong muscles. I have back problems and found ballet modified so that you can even lay down to do them: New York City Ballet. I am entertaining the thought of buying one of those ballet bars called the Fluidity Bar since ballet has really helped me.
Picture of stoney
I too have done Winsor Pilates for years & LUV it! The 20 minute routine targets the whole body starting with your core (stomach muscles) giving you long lean muscles & an overall toned body... Thumbs UP!

My fav is the leg routine... Love...The acclerated workouts are a great challenge & easy to work up to. The results are REAL! I'm not as fond of some of the NEW routines that have you jumping around. Going up & down the stairs a zillion times a day is a GREAT workout for your butt & legs.

I'd rather get my cardio workouts from just working outside & around the house in a more natural way. For weight bearing exercise I also get my workout outdoors. Today I will help my husband split firewood...log splitter, of course... Wink...but, I am able to pick up big, heavy oak logs no problem. I attribute that to my "Pilates Workout".
Picture of SAGE262
Hi Stoney,
Do you still do Pilates? I have an AeroPilates machine. I tried do the excercises on DVDs but just couldn't stick with it. I was always trying to correct my form.

I love the rebounder on the machine and also doing leg stretches with the ropes. This thing works the core like no other, just plain fun. I have always given up on other equipment but not this.

I also like my elliptical when I really want to get a good cardio workout.
Picture of amirpana
The best scientifically proven workout is high intensity Interval training. Total of 16 minutes.!2 mins warm-up, followed 10 second "Out-of-Breath" sprinting or jumping or anything else, then 2 mins cool down repeat it 7 to 8 times. Max Growth hormone release and minimum cortisol and better fitness level and cardiovascular health.

PC; Avoid heavy meals one hour before workout and sugars and fruits 2 hours after workout .
Picture of SkinBioTeam
For further information on the benefits of exercise, please visit this link to our website: Exercize Improves DNA Telomeres and Activates the Repair Enzyme Telomerase. You can see the studies in the link as well.

Best Wishes
~The SkinBio Team
Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by SAGE262:
Hi Stoney,
Do you still do Pilates? I have an AeroPilates machine. I tried do the excercises on DVDs but just couldn't stick with it. I was always trying to correct my form.

I love the rebounder on the machine and also doing leg stretches with the ropes. This thing works the core like no other, just plain fun. I have always given up on other equipment but not this.

I also like my elliptical when I really want to get a good cardio workout.

Hi Sage, Yes I still do the Pilates mat routines with the DVDs. It was the only thing that I ever really stuck with. I think it is because it was fairly easy for me & I liked the fact I was following along with the instructor. Will admit that the 'teaser' can still be a challenge (there are several versions).

I have never tried the Pilates Machine. My loft now houses an exrecise bike, ab machine, rowing machine, bun & thigh rocker (finally got rid of my FIL's treadmill), etc - NONE of which gets used very much. So as much as I would LUV to look like Christie Brinkley with her total gym workout, I have found my own niche with doing Winsor Pilates which targets the core.

I live on a big property & get plenty of workouts each day. Just getting the mail down my 1,000 ft long driveway then back up is good cardio... Big Grin

I would probaby love the Pilates Machine but would really rather get my loft back at this point...LOL...but who knows, once it is finally empty, I may feel the urge to buy one... Laughing
Picture of SAGE262
I hear you about getting your loft back. I have an elliptical, treadmill, Total Gym, bun and thigh rocker, Body Blade, ab lounge, ab coaster but I ALWAYS use the Pilates machine, 3 yrs now. The total gym is fine- I only like it for squats and the ab machines are just a waste of money. Pilates takes care of it all. You will LOVE the rebounder (its like a mini trampoline) and there's nothing like stretches to keep flexibility in tiptop shape. I actually feel like I'm flying doing the leg circles on it! Laughing

I say, "sell off your other equipment and buy one". I guarantee you'll love it. I bought mine on QVC which was offering a payment plan at a great price. If you do get one make sure you buy the stand-it's worth every penny!

I admire that you live on a large piece of property. My parents had a few acres and I know what a workout they got just trying to keep up the yard/garden and walking to the mail box.