New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cortisol Login/Join

Picture of Annick
posted   Report This Post  
How does one reduce cortisol levels?

I try to relax as much as I can. This, BTW, is a place that I come to relax. I really enjoy this discussion board and, frankly, wish that I could meet many of the people on here.

Other than encouraging a more relaxing life, how can I reduce cortisol and is there a test? Napping
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
DHEA reduces cortisol damage.

Basically DHEA and cortisol balance each other out. But as we get older, cortisol remains high but DHEA drops 90%.

This is a reason that teen-agers thrive on stress but as we get older, stress can cause harm due to the low DHEA level.
Picture of Annick
How much should I take? I'm "stressed out" at present.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Start at 25 mg daily. Then if that does not, keep increasing up to 100 mg daily.
Dr Pickart - doesn't DHEA also increase blemishes?

quote:
Researchers have found a hormone that plays a key roll in adult blemish development. Dihydropiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) is an androgen hormone produced by the adrenal glands. Elevated levels of this hormone have been found in women suffering from adult-onset blemishes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBioTeam,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Yes, in some cases. But DHEA drops by 90% from age 20 to age 65. So if your DHEA is very low, your body suffers.

This is why I recommend starting low on DHEA, see how your body responds, then use more if it seems to be helping.
If you're looking for a more subtle approach then anecdotal reports say that vitamin C can reduce cortisol levels.
Picture of Annick
Thank you for the reply. Smiler I really need to work on this area of my life. Eeker