Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cherries Login/Join

<Paula>
posted   Report This Post  
I wanted to post some of the health benefits of one of my favorite fruits! I could eat tons of them, lol.

quote:
Health Benefits of Cherries
By C.J. King

Health Benefits of Cherries

Cherries are one of the riches sources of anthocyanins. Of over 150 flavonoids found in plants, anthocyanins have the greatest antioxidant capacity. Cherries have been classified as a "super-fruit," a unique group of nutrient-rich fruits which contain natural compounds shown to fight off potential disease. Recent studies show cherries, tart cherries specifically, may protect against heart disease and some cancers.

Glowing Skin

One cup of cherries contains 27mg of melatonin, an antioxidant which guards against the breakdown of collagen. This results in a slower rate of wrinkle formation and fine lines within the skin. Cherries are also rich in vitamin A (beta carotene) and provide 88 IU's per serving. Vitamin A has been known to increase collagen production and can help soften facial lines. Cherries have 19 times the amount of beta carotene than blueberries and strawberries.

Headaches

Those headaches seem to be never ending. But new research from Michigan State University suggests eating cherries can be just as effective as aspirin. In fact, eating just 20 cherries can be 10 times more effective than taking aspirin. Anthocyanins present within the fruit deconstruct enzymes which cause inflammation and relieve pain associated with headaches at a more rapid rate.

Blood Pressure

Potassium removes excess sodium within the bloodstream and calms the blood-vessel walls. It is not a surprise that cherries loaded with 306 mg of potassium per serving can have a positive impact on blood pressure. Recent studies suggest blood pressure can be lowered by 25% when eating this potassium rich fruit.

Trim that waistline

We are looking for anything we can get our hands on to rid ourselves of belly fat. Who knew cherries rich in pectin, a fiber which converts to a slow-digesting gel in your stomach, blocks stored fat and increases fullness by up to 32%. New research suggests increasing pectin-rich foods in our diets may enhance weight loss by up to 38%.

Healthy Heart

Evidence suggests foods rich in colorful fruits and vegetables may help lower risk for heart disease. The phenolic compounds in cherries help protect against heart disease and stroke.

Cancer Prevention

Those powerful anthocynanins studies may help to reduce the risk of colon cancer.

Brain Support

The phytonutrients present in tart cherries has been known to protect neurons in the brain from oxidative damage and have been known to help memory loss.

Arthritis

Because of the natural compounds found in cherries, eating cherries may reduce the painful inflammation associated with arthritis.
Picture of stoney
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thanks Summerwave... Big Grin...

Like ALL berries, it's AMAZING to see how beneficial they really are!!!!...

The BEST part is that they taste good, so you don't have to veiw them as "Health Foods", but more as wonderful TREATS...

I made some nice "Cherry Vinegar" with my excess for my salads...it EASY & delectable...

With ALL of the wonderful veggies, fruits & scumptous berries, there should be a lot less ailments & diseases out there...we just NEED to EAT them!!!

...mmm mmm GOOD!!!... Thumbs UP!
Picture of stoney
Well, The spigot has finally shut off & the sun has been out for a 3 full days. So my husband put me in the bucket of the tractor & lifted me up to reach the cherries in my loaded tree. I picked to my hearts content before the cedar wax wings beat me to it... Roll Eyes...I did leave them a few though!

Time for pie... Love
Didn't know that cherries has a lot of benefits, that's good news for me. I love cherries! Thanks a lot for this info.