New
Find
Notify
Tools
Enviromental Working Group? EWG ? Homemade Cosmetics? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Dr Pickart,
I was wondering if you have ever heard of this place? http://www.ewg.org/
They seem to have a rating for nearly every product (well I didn't find yours there).

I wondered how reliable they are as I know some places that talk about being 'natural' are not very healthy for the skin? I noticed they have HYALURONIC ACID as 0 Data for example?

Then another thing I've been looking at is people who are making their own make up?
http://www.pure-jojoba.com/diy-all-natural-makeup/

Even though these are 'food' type powders some are irritants? Would you think these are healthier than regular cosmetics?

Would be very interested in your thoughts on these when you can.
Thank you for such superb products and research!
Caelum
Smiler
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
That is called the Environmental Working Group.

They have some good ideas but natural is not necessarily safe.

My issue with hyaluronic acid is that it over-wets the skin. This can break down the skin barrier's protection and allow bacteria and viruses to enter the skin.

For many years, it was thought that just keeping the facial skin moist would retard aging effects. If you ever saw "I Love Lucy", you can see that "Night Creams" that women used in the 1960s. They wet the skin but the women ended up with worse wrinkles.
Thank you Dr Pickart,
how much would you trust the research on Enviromental Working group?
I was curious since I work in the Cosmetology & Professional Make up and are just doing some research on what to recommend to my clients. It would be nice to have a good resource we could count on for good research instead of skewed research. I sought out the Hyaluronic acid as I always remembered your comments on how bad it was for the skin. I figured if this place said it was okay (which it did) then how good is any of their research at all?
Do you have another similar place to recommend with real concrete research that could be a resource other than them? Is there a database I could search particular things ?
I did watch I love Lucy, but will have to look up what she looked like years later. Do you really think it was those Night Creams or all the heavy make up and heavy lights, etc?
I know what you mean about 'wetting the skin' as some oils seem to wet the skin but not quite the same way.
Thank you for your hard work and research!
Caelum Smiler
Picture of Dr. Pickart
EWG is an OK group. Sometimes they overrate dangers such on topics such as carcinogenicity.
The tests only measure materials that cause DNA damage in bacteria. But this is not the same as causing cancer. Many common foods rate high on the carcinogenicity tests.
Thank you Dr Pickart,
Interesting since if they rate Hyaluronic acid as being a 0 on their rating I guess that makes them partly correct since it isn't carcinegenic but that is only half the story, if it then damages and ages the skin in the long run.
So I would think that plus if they overate some dangers (I seen that too) then what IS the point of their research at all. Hmm
Many common foods rate high on carcinogenic tests From their testing you mean? Or ?

Thank you for all your help.
Caelum
Picture of Dr. Pickart
This is more of a story. A scientist at UC Berkeley, Bruce Ames, developed a test for substances that cause DNA damage in bacteria, now called the Ames Test. Then he found that many chemicals in our environment caused DNA damage in the bacteria. This was called a carcinogenicity test.

However, later he tested common foods and found that they often tested high in his test. However, our body is set up to contain most damage from such molecules. So the test is a warning but may not cause cancer.

Look at

http://sciencewatch.com/nobel/...es-test-mutagenicity

http://www.the-scientist.com/?...s-and-Multivitamins/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Ames
Thank you Dr Pickart for those links.
The research he is doing is very interesting.

So the EWG website is not of much use if they aren't distinguishing between a true carcinogen?

I mean are nutmeg, cinnamon, cocoa, allspice, tumeric, ginger or arrowroot, really recommended for facial use?
Sometimes they sound natural cause they are used as foods, but people don't realize they don't benefit facial skin aging in the long term?

Thank you again!
Caelum
Picture of Dr. Pickart
One thing to remember is that plants produce many poisons to kill animal pests. Human eat a very small variety of domesticate plants which are safe. Most plants are not safe to eat or put on the skin.
Ahh good point.

so if ingredients are 'safe' to eat, (cinnamon, cocoa, allspice, tumeric, ginger, arrowroot,) they would be okay to put on the skin?

Or does this not apply for everything?
Maybe I should have been a scientist. LOL

Caelum Smiler
Picture of Dr. Pickart
In general, that is a good idea. But sometimes people may have skin allergies to various plant products that can be eaten.
Ah okay,
Thanks so much for all your many answers to my many questions! Smiler

Caelum Smiler
thank You Dr. Pickart for info about vegans, natural eco cosmetics with herbals/oils.. and etc., cause there are a lot of advertisments nowdays about safe and helpful weleda, hauschka and other other eco brands...in this run i really forgot what was tought in medical university about plants that make defense substances against any kind of danger! it's really good and right way not to use/combine everything from plants and other substances! cause no combination effect tests are done even by eco giants...and nobody know what we receive in tube! that's why i choose your conception and skin care line!
Picture of Skin Biology
quote:
Originally posted by Ilia:
...that's why i choose your conception and skin care line!

Dear Ilia:

We appreciate having you as a client as a participant in our chat forum!

You'll be happy to know that Dr. Pickart and Dr. Anna Margolina (Russian Biologist and Cosmetic Journalist) have teamed up together to provide weekly tips on how to take care of your skin, what to watch out for in the industry, along with the importance and power of copper peptides - If you haven't done so already, Sign up here for Your FREE Online Skin Care Course!

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology