Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Benzoyl Peroxide Login/Join

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Report This Post  
Many users report that benzoyl peroxide use for blemishes increases marks and produces lumpy bumps in their skin.

Benzoyl peroxide generates free radicals in the skin in a manner to similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and benzoyl peroxide, is the result of free radicals acting upon the skin. This can slowly damage the skin's structure and cause premature aging of the skin.

Benzoyl peroxide slows the healing process. The red-brown marks that after blemish outbreaks last longer when benzoyl peroxide is a part of the blemish treatment.

Benzoyl peroxide is linked to cancer genesis and is considered a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent. Many published articles support a linkage between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer.

In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) based on information that benzoyl peroxide was a tumor promoter in mice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBioTeam,
Picture of stoney
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I am thrilled to see that Dr. Pickart has included this in his list of "DO NOT USE"! Bravo!

Hopefully here, it will get a lot more attention for everyone who may be currently using or has used them in the past...

...Please, spread the Word!!!

Thanks Dr. Pickart!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stoney,
Picture of Summer Breeze
Wow.....this is HUGE in terms of information! When I think back to all of the products I used that touted this as the prized main ingredient, I just want to scream!! And it's still sold OTC. Weeping
Picture of stoney
Dr. Pickart...My theory????

I've been playing "cowardly lion", but do you think you can incorporate this into your site somehow about Benzoyl Peroxide & its "nasty" side effects?

I think people spend a lot of time researching there before even considering coming onto the forums...

I mean, I think I'm exhausting myself... & I think a lot of people will able to put 2 & 2 together on their own if the read something regarding BP & the trapped bumps they cause under their skin.

This really is HUGE & if you can do it in a very gentle way. I think you can reach & help a lot more people...

I spent over a year reseaching on your site & dabbling with your products before everything started to come together for me...I think others can do the same thing, but they may "give up" to soon...

Picture of Dr. Pickart
Yes, but remind me about it again in about a month or two with an email to me.

Right now we are working on a new unified website and this is a huge project.

Picture of stoney
Yes, oaky...This IS IMPOTARTANT!!! I may be gone by then if my house sells & I'm in a transitonal state, better known as "A State of Turmoil"...up the DHEA!!...

I know that I've been saying that I have been "suspect" for 15 yrs., but looking back now it's more like 25...

You can only know this if you've "USED" any BP products, you probably haven't...LUCKY YOU...

...but for those of us who have, epecially those who are 50ish, this explain why we always felt like we were "plagued" by chronic blemishes at worst & "not so perfect skin" at best!!!

It was not a skin problem at all...most of the blemishes & white bumps where from the abnormal healing under the skin caused by the BPs which formed "Alien-like" plugs in perfectly healthy tissue. Most of the scarring wasn't "Actual Blemishes" but was also a by-product of this abnormal healing & "calcium-like formations" that never went away...they only got deeper & worse over time!!!

People need to know... & the desperate ones, like myself all make their way to your "Masterfully-crafted website"...

Need a Partner??? lol

Smiler

<Paula>
I'm reading on other sites to see what people have to say about using the BP regimen, and sure enough, I'm running across posts about chronically red skin, bumps and lumps under the skin, etc.

Picture of stoney
Oh Summerwave...Totally been there!...I want to cry... Crying Mad
<Paula>
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
Yes, but remind me about it again in about a month or two with an email to me.

Right now we are working on a new unified website and this is a huge project.

I can't wait to see the new website. I hope you can include many more testimonials you have received. Those are fun to read.

Picture of Dr. Pickart
Most people believe benzoyl peroxide can stop blemish outbreaks but it may also produce long term marks on your skin.

I used a topical prescription called Clindoxyl Gel all through highschool, and it was the only thing that could control my skin. The active ingredients were 1% Clindamycin (I don't know what it does), and 5% BP. I'm now skeptical about it since reading this, and also since the most recent tube I've gotten suddenly has additional cautionary stickers on it (i.e. don't spend long in the sun while taking this). However, in all the time I used Clindoxyl, I had hardly any marks on my skin at all, while when I stopped using it for only a few months when I started uni, I got major blemishes followed by major major marks on my skin. I started using it again after a few months, and the blemishes went away again, but the bad marks remain Frowner When I get my CPs I may stop using it though, in case BP really does make things worse.

Picture of stoney
I found a pic that I added to the friend's album taken 3 yrs. ago with my BBB Stoney...As you can see, after close to 30 yrs of BP use my skin actually looked pretty good...

It was shortly after this XMAS that my laser blemish & MANY, MANY, MANY Bumps became more prominent on my face.

The damage under my skin from BP use turned out to extremely severe... Frowner...I truly would NOT recommend BP use in ANY form as the the "BP Revenge" is NASTY!

So does this mean that Proactiv is not safe to use?
Picture of stoney
Hopeful,

Long-term use of BP products causes "severely blemishes pored" deep under the surface of the skin. The surface may look smooth & clear, but the damage is deep within & very difficult to deal with.

I really noticed the MANY, MANY bumps under my skin when I turned 47 after nearly 30 yrs of use. Perhaps to my skin thinning a little from age??? It has turned out to be a NIGHTMARE to deal with!... Confused

I would suggest trying Retin-A if your blemishes are still active. It will save you a lot of grief later... Smiler

Picture of Dr. Pickart
If I say it is not safe, then Proactiv's lawyers will sue me.

But the FDA has removed benzoyl peroxide from the GRAS list of ingredients considered Generally Recognized As Safe.
Thank you, Dr Pickart & Stoney.
I am thinking my skin probably wouldn't have looked this blemished if I hadn't used that bp.I used to use the Oxy 5.
A young guy told me not to use benzoyle per.back in the 80's.I didn't really believe him
but I did notice red=brown marks.I didn't want the huge embarrassing bumps though.
Then with the new stuff,they say it's finely milled so you think it's better.I didn't use it consistantly due to that nagging little voice in my head saying,"wow,that bleached the pillow white!How good can that be for the face?"

Glowing,Thank you for sharing.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
The milling of the material will not change its actions.
Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by glowing:
I am thinking my skin probably wouldn't have looked this blemished if I hadn't used that bp.I used to use the Oxy 5.
A young guy told me not to use benzoyle per.back in the 80's.I didn't really believe him
but I did notice red=brown marks.I didn't want the huge embarrassing bumps though.
Then with the new stuff,they say it's finely milled so you think it's better.I didn't use it consistantly due to that nagging little voice in my head saying,"wow,that bleached the pillow white!How good can that be for the face?"

Ya Glowing, bleaching the towels & sheets was bad enough, but I truly thought that BP was healing & clearing my skin. I did NOT have blemishes on my face that many refer to as boxcar -or- icepick. I NEVER looked like I ever suffered from any sort of blemishes at all.

BP gave my skin a smooth, clear surface just like in the ads. At 47 is when my skin started to change as if I were Cinderella & the clock struck midnight... Confused...

I am methodically reliving & undoing the "abnormal healing" that BP caused to my skin...It is a NIGHTMARE... and at times harder to deal with than the original blemish itself since the buried blemished pores (caused from the abnormal healing from BPs) are attached & grown in. It is a serious problem that can be avoided if you just avoid BP products.

Forget about those ads you see on TV if you want to save yourself from the difficult challenge of undoing the damage.