Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Air Pump Malfunction! Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Help!!

My air pump for CP Night Eyes won't pump!

it probably sounds ridiculous, but seriously, i love the air pump and i hesitate to take the lid off....any suggestions?
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Try pumping a few strokes very fast. This often works to clear the system.
Thanks.

my husband was able to get it working for me again, he did what you suggested.

he also realized the lid had come lose. no suction = no product.

duh.

kind of like calling tech support for your computer not booting up only to discover it was unplugged
I transfer all my products to pumps so I've had to play with plenty. Pumps are great, but tricky. Great because they keep product fresh with no air inside and there's not that long tube that never quite ... reaches ..the bottom...
They're tricky because as you noted they work with vacuum action and will fail if air gets in, either from the top or creeping up the side of the plunger from below(from say it being tilted or somthing gritty caught between it and the canister wall)
Here's the fix: Check top is screwed on.
If this isn't the problem then it's because the plunger disc is stuck.
You'll need a long thin skewer, something like a cake tester. No sharp point or you may pierce the plunger disc and really stuff it.
Loosen the lid (or off completely if you're game to not spill it)
The canisters always have a hole in the bottom to let the air in underneath. Insert the skewer and locate it as near as possble to the center of the disc and push up very very slowly. When the liquid product is high enough for the tube of the lid to be submerged Stop!. (I've forced enough into my face to know that!)Leave just enough room so that the tube itself doesn't displace any product as you screw it down. Not that it matters, you lose a bit but you get a good vaccuum if this happens.
Tips:
If you can't get the skewer to the centre because the bottom hole is offset, use small pushes evenly around the perimeter in circles, keeping the disc straight.
Sometimes you have to push it down further before it'll come up smoothly. Use the skewer from the top to do this as many times as needed.
If everything goes wrong, eg the disc flips sideways you can start from scratch by emptying out the product...but hey that's a whole nother post's worth.
Picture of angeleyes
Thanks Buzzy for the helpful info - I will be keeping my air pumps from now on Smiler