Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why HA is bad? Redux Login/Join

Picture of FeleciaRose
posted   Report This Post  
Greetings Dr. Pickart: (please note I posted this message in NOT Recommended Products also)

I'm struggling to understand the relationship of skin wetting to the aging of skin.

What I think I just figured out based upon following threads you comment on regarding HA--I'm almost in a panic because every product I use excluding yours has HA in it!

Okay--- is this a safe synthesis?

HA wets the skin barrier because it sucks up water from the skin.

When the epidermis (particularly the granulosum layer) registers the wet surface it responds by recognizing a breach in the skin barrier (wet skin lets bad things in).

So -- it kicks keratin production into high gear. It wants to send (dry) keratin to the surface to restore the integrity of the barrier.

This is a bad thing because keratinocytes (like all cells in the body) are limited in the number of times they can reproduce themselves.

When they reach that limit, they cease to exist. And as they grow closer to that limit, they slow down and produce substandard proteins.

This is the aging process.

So, when we use HA, we are speeding up the skin aging process by effectively killing off our defenses sooner rather than later.

Please help.

thanks,
Felecia
Picture of FeleciaRose
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dr. Pickart answered my questioned on a different board. I copied it below:

quote:
This is complex but here it is.

1. HA sucks water out of the air and becomes wet. If you put dry HA on a dish, in about 30 minutes you would have a puddle of water. It is a very hygroscopic material, one which attracts moisture from the atmosphere. If not protected from contact with the atmosphere (by being stored under vacuum or under a dry gas) some hygroscopic materials will eventually attract so much water that they will form solutions.

2. Then this water wets or hydrates the outer skin proteins. This weakens the proteins and loosens the protective skin barrier.

The weak skin barrier allows bacteria, viruses, and allergens to pass through the skin. Often famous young actors in their late 20s have a very spotted skin (you often see this on a large screen) from skin barrier damage from heavy use of make up and make up removers.

3. The wet proteins slow keratin production. The signal for the skin to send up new keratinocytes to the surface is a dryness in the proteins in the top of the skin. So skin is replaced slower and damage accumulates.

4. Many years ago, women used Cold Creams to keep their faces moist when they went to bed. If you have seen "I Love Lucy" or old movies, you have seem women with these white creams all over their face. But they ended up with horrible wrinkles as time went by because their skin had been keep too wet.

5. There is the idea of a limited cell life but many cell biologists doubt if this is correct. No one knows how long cells can live because very long cell culture experiments are very expensive.

The body also makes stem cells - even in adults - that can keep setting up new cell lines.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBioTeam,