New
Find
Notify
Tools
steam bathing Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hello Dr. Pickart!

Hope you're doing well.

When we were remodelling the master bathroom 18 months ago, my husband was really pushing for the steam shower. At the time, I thought it was frivolous, but I'm glad I ended up agreeing to it because I love having it.

So, here are the questions:

1. Am I really supposed to skip the soap afterwards? I steam for about 10 mins, then shower (with soap), just as I would do w/o having steamed first. Should I just be rinsing my body off afterward - no soap?

2. Also, I steam usually 3 times a week. I don't wash my body (except for important parts) other than that 3x a week. Is this steaming frequency too much, too little? For instance, would steaming everyday be better or is that too much?

3. Also, before I steam I like to wash my face to get the CPs and/or LacSal off. I feel like the steam does it's job better if there isn't any product on my face. Is this a waste of time (washing my face first)?

4. As far as the face goes, I couldn't imagine only washing once a day. My t-zone gets oily. I wake up w/ a lot of oil, & by the end of the day I also have a lot of oil in that area. Do you suggest skipping the soap with one of these washings (I use your gentle clean)? If so, which is better to skip, moring or night? Like most, I apply actives both morning & night & feel I should be applying to a clean face.

I guess I'm just unsure in general about how much to wash w/ soap (specifically the face) an/or steam.

Lastly, do you have any thoughts on deoderant/antipersperant? I have been skipping it all for many many years. I've never done any research on it, but my common sense told me at some point.....there's something trying to get out of my body.....for heaven's sake....let it out!!! It seems so silly & damaging to me to slap some glue under your arms to trap everything in there. If we glued up all of our bodily outlets....we'd be in trouble!

I always keep baby wipes in the car & give myself a few swipes w/ those if need be. If I have an important event going on, I use Toms of Main deoderant. Do you have suggestions for safe & effective deoderants?

I'm sorry to bombard you w/ questions all at once. Whenever you have the time, I'd love your opinion on these matters.

Thanks Dr. P!
DeeDee Smiler

If anyone else wants to chime in w/ suggestions/opinions....please do!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Steam cleaning is very good. You can skip the soap or use a very mild soap like our Gentle Clean.

Studies on people who use sauna steam have never found anything negative. Even is a sauna the actual skin temperature rises to only about 104 degree F.

How to use antiperspirants best is unknown as is their safety. In Seattle, where the weather is so cool, they are rarely needed. But is hot, muggy climates perspiration is more diificult to control.