Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Red and Near-Infrared lamp, wavelengths of 660nm/850nm, with CPs Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted   Report This Post  
I wanted to ask Skin Biology if you guys have any updates on recommendations to use or not to use red / near infra red lamps.
I read literature on the benefits of collagen as well as organs and muscles, using combo lights with wavelengths of 660nm/850nm.
I also listened to a couple recent podcasts one from a naturopathic doctor and one from a famous trainer, both stating red and near infra red lamps are beneficial to skin and mithochondria.

---------------------------------------

The naturopathic doctor had interviewed a researcher and associate professor of dermatology at Harvard Medical School a year ago, and these are the summary points :

- One of the most beneficial wavelengths of light is the near-infrared (810 to 830 nm), which penetrates deep into your body and has many biological effects. Far-infrared is absorbed by water, which is why it cannot penetrate as deeply

- Far-infrared exerts biological effects primarily by altering protein structures, mediated by nanostructured water

- Near-infrared primarily targets the cytochrome c oxidase in the mitochondria, causing dissociation of nitric oxide and increasing electron transport and ATP synthesis

- Red light is good for relieving inflammation and inflammatory conditions. Interestingly, the literature is rife with reports on improving macular degeneration (the most common cause of blindness in the U.S.) with exposure to red light at 660 nm.

- Near-infrared is good for regeneration of deeper structures such as tendons, bones and cartilage; orthopedic and musculoskeletal problems. Red or near-infrared light at night also produces melatonin and helps you sleep. Near-infrared may also be useful for kidney problems. Anecdotal evidence suggests it could be a powerful therapy for kidney failure.

---------------------------------------------

The lamp I am looking at is large, 37" x 8", and supposed to be used 6 inches from the skin for benefits both to skin and muscles / organs.
One gym I go to has one and I tried it. It does not emit any heat and feels very natural almost like sun (which I tremendously crave despite plenty of D3 supplementation - long dark winter around here).

I read posts from the past, some saying infrared lights are not recommended, some saying they may push CPs deeper.

I would really appreciate any opinion on this, also would it be ok to apply GHK before being exposed to the lamp or is GHK too fragile? (maybe second generation CPs are better?)

Thank you so much!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rossana,

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I have used both GHK-Cu and a far infrared pad for an injured leg. Based on a published Canadian study, I used the pad at 109 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes a day. After about 10 minutes, the pain just vanished. My guess is that the effect is mainly due to increased blood flow through the injured area.

The red light you are using is a higher energy but such lights are used by health care groups to accelerate healing.
Picture of Rossana
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thank you for the response Dr Pickart!
I bought the combo red - near infra red lamp. I will post an update in some time after some regular use

Life is too short to remove USB safely!