Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What has happened to my skin? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I've developed a sensitivity to certain products that I used to use routinely. Can Skin Biology or anyone else explain why this happens? Here's my history:

I started using SB products in early Feb 2005. I used exfol cream, CP serum, and emu oil for a couple months with no problems and was happy with the way my skin was looking. Then I added some 10% lactic acid from Diana Yvonne. My skin hated that and became very red and irritated. I tried modifying by putting it on wet skin and rinsing immediately but my skin could not take it in any way. I only used it maybe 4 or 5 times. Later I tried mandellic acid and some retin A products with the same result and quickly abandoned those too. I went on with my exfol/CP/emu routine until June. Then my skin began reacting the same way to the exfol cream I had been using for months. I tried exfol serum but had the same result, a very irritated raised rash that persisted for several days. I have been only useing CP serum and emu since last summer, about 8 months. I occasionally switch the CP product for a vitamin C to rest the skin from copper.

Since I can't use any acid product I would like to be able to use exfol cream or serum, especially since I used it for 5 months with good results. I will occasionally test my skin by applying a teeny bit of exfol to wet skin. Invariably 2 to 3 days after I apply exfol my skin will bloom into a very red, irritated rash. The kind of skin you don't want to leave the house with.

I know I have developed a sensitivity to most likey the salicylic acid, because I react the same to both the cream and serum. Why does this happen? If my skin was fine with it for so long what has changed? If the mantle was destroyed by something I did it seems it would repair in time, since I am only using CP or vitamin C with emu oil. I've posted these problems here before so sorry for the repeat. Lately I'm getting more concerned because of the length of time my skin has remained so sensitive. Thanks for any input.
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear Ducky:

You may want to contact us directly on this one so that we can better help you.

Going from the lactic, to mandelic, to retin-A may have left your skin in a state so that when the exfol cream (which is only 2% salicylic acid) is applied it may be too strong.

Give us a call at 1-800-405-1912 (between the hours of 10-4pm/Pacific Time) and speak with Dr. Pickart he may have some suggestions on what could have happened to cause this heightened sensitivity to Exfol Cream.

Please contact us,
-Skin Biology