Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Exfol and pregnancy Login/Join

<trueskin>
posted   Report This Post  
Sorry to post this but the past posts were confusing to me. Is it ok or not ok to use exfol serum during pregnancy??? I am 5mths and have been using it and then ran across another post that stated not to use salicylic??? please help.
<trueskin>
hi!!! can anyone help w/ this concern??? I am going to my ob-gyn tomorrow and was really hoping for some input prior to the appt??? Confused?
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hey trueskin,

Sorry no one has answered. I don't know the answer to your question, but I did a cursory Google search and got this page:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202516.html

"Pregnancy—This medicine may be absorbed through the mother's skin. Salicylic acid has not been studied in pregnant women. However, studies in animals have shown that salicylic acid causes birth defects when given orally in doses about 6 times the highest dose recommended for topical use in humans. Before using this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or if you may become pregnant, especially if you will be using salicylic acid on large areas of your body.

Breast-feeding—Salicylic acid may be absorbed through the mother's skin. However, topical salicylic acid has not been reported to cause problems in nursing babies. Be sure you have discussed the risks and benefits of the medicine with your doctor."

HTH,

Best, em
<trueskin>
thanks alchemist!!! I didnt even get to ask my dr. i was too excited in hearing that lil heartbeat. Hopefully there will be a response soon from the honchos themselves. Heck, i should just call. Confused?
<Delisay>
Hi Trueskin

I couldn't imagine that the teeny tiny amount of Salicylic Acid in Exfol could even get close to doing any harm. SA exists naturally in your skin anyway, as well as in quite a few fruits and vegetables.

Most toxicity is about dose. A high enough dose of almost anything can cause harm, even water! I think that you would have to be practically bathing in Exfol to pose a risk.

However, don't take my word for it ... ask SB to be sure.

D.
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear trueskin:

First off - Congratulations!

We recently had someone call in asking us a very similar question. We had to let them know that they should really go over any concerns with ingredients they are using with their doctor.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by trueskin:
Sorry to post this but the past posts were confusing to me. Is it ok or not ok to use exfol serum during pregnancy??? I am 5mths and have been using it and then ran across another post that stated not to use salicylic??? please help.

We have clients who had up to three healthy children while on the products.

The best products would be CP Serum and Emu Oil for Skin.

Very little copper penetrates through the skin. If a person has allergies to common cosmetic preservatives, then the allergy might cause some problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
<trueskin>
thanks for the replies. I am still continuing w/ cp serum and use exfol serum only once a month or so now. Just due to the fact that it is in the aspirin family. I do appreciate your time, thanks again.