Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
question about water/oil emuslsion Login/Join

Picture of Pirate Jenny
posted   Report This Post  
There seems to have been a lot of debate about the safety of water-in-oil emulsions on the skin, but on your pages describing their dangers, it's a little unclear whether it's the emulsifiers that make them dangerous or the pressence of both water and oil in one product.

So, I'd like to know what exactly we should be looking for in products. I can't seem to find sunscreens that aren't emulsions (and as far as I understand, the texture itself is part of what makes the titanium coat the skin in an effective way).

I'm interested, also, in using self tanners sometimes, and I wonder, if I found one that had good, safe ingredients, but in an emulsion form, would using that once or twice a week cause problems?

Also, I have been using serums (like Derma-E vita. C & E serum for example) that contain glycerine and/or aloe vera with water. Is that safe? I'm also aware that vita. E, A and one form of C are oils - does that make a product containing those and water an emulsion? Are they okay to use?

Even a lot of your products contain both water and oil, including super-cop serum which I use. Are these emulsions or not? What ingredients indicate whether they are or are not emulsions?

I'm a bit confused, and I'd love if you could clear up some of these questions for all of us. Thank you very much!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The problem is in how the water/oil emusions are put together.

Most products use chemical detergents (aka surfactants)or quasi-detergents (a different name but the same thing). These detergents hold the oil/water system together but also break open the skin barrier. But such products are very stable and have a shelf life of years and do well in freeze/thaw stability studies. But then one rarely tries to freeze/thaw their skin.

The Skin Biology emulsions use biological peptides to hold the system together but our products just barely are stable. On the other hand, they do not damage the skin barrier.
Picture of Pirate Jenny
Thank you for clearing that up!

So then what types of emulsifiers are okay?
Could you list some types of emultions other than your peptide products that are safe?
Picture of Dr. Pickart
We use the peptides as our emusifier.