Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Vitamin C and Skin Effect Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Thank you for your terrifically informative web site. One claim that I see repeatedly is that topical vitamin c has no effect on the skin. While I agree that the majority of topical c products have already oxidized by the time the consumer opens the packaging or shortly thereafter -- I don't think this is true of pure ascorbic vitamin c powder. This summer, I inadvertantly got too much sun on my face and had a burn -- just redness -- not blistering. In the evening, I made a solution of 1/4 teaspoon of pure ascorbic acid powder and mixed with 1 tablespoon of water. I applied this gently to my face with a cotton ball. After it dried, I topped with aloe vera jelly and by morning, my face was tanned with no hint of redness. I've been using the ascorbic acid and water solution on hyperpigmentation and it appears to be evening out my skin tone. I mix it fresh each night. The only side effects are some very mild itching/tingling which quickly subsides. Occassionally, after the mixture dries on the hyperpigmented areas, I will top with a little pure vitamin E oil. So far so good -- a few friends have used this homemade c "serum" for evening skin tone as well. Cheap and easy but definitely effective. If I use CP, I do it on days when I am not using the vitamin c home brew. So why does SB say vitamin c applied topically has no effect on skin? I don't know if it does anything for wrinkles because that is not my issue but it seems quite effective for hyperpigmentation.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Vitamin C plus vitamin E will help after a sunburn by suppressing free radical damage.

But as far as skin renewal, there just are no good published studies are 30 years of skin use. Very high levels of vitamin C - about 10% - at acid pHs, do increase collagen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,