Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Super GHK and hydroxy acids. Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
With Super GHK it says to use Hydroxy's at opposite end of the Day.

Is that just with "leave on" like Lacsal and Exfol or would that also include 2% Salicylic washes?

Thanks MaxxC
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear MaxxC:

That is a very good question - Dr. Pickart will probably post his thoughts.

But since the wash is only kept on the skin for a very short time it is probably okay to use the two together. Just keep in mind that Super GHK-Copper is quite fragile and that is the main reason for our recommendation to use hydroxy acids at the opposite in the day.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Hey MaxxC,
My guess is that since the salicylic washes are only on your face for a couple of minutes at most, it wont have caused that much exfoliation. Furthermore, the amount of water used to rinse off the wash will tend to neutralise the pH level of your skin.

I would imagine that it would be ok to use after salicylic washes Smiler

I too use a 2% salicylic wash, but I have been reading elsewhere that it may actually be better to use a gentle pH 5.5 cleanser, and keep AHAs/BHAs for topicals. My 2%SA contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate for example, which is an irritating detergent. You may therefore be causing unnecessary irritation and damage, thinking that you are effectively exfoliating your face.

Once my 2%SA wash is finished, I may switch to just using a gentle cleanser followed by 2%SA toner... and then any other topicals, CPs, etc, after allowing sometime for the exfoliation to have occured and the pH level of the acid mantle to return to normal. Smiler
SM23 and SB thank you Smiler

I figured the wash would be ok but wanted to check.

SM23. I think you have a very good point about using a mild cleanser and reserving the 2% Sal for a leave on topical. I was going to buy some Glymed 2% wash since I'm out. But I think I'll give your method a shot first

BW MaxxC
quote:
Originally posted by MaxxC:
SM23 and SB thank you Smiler

I figured the wash would be ok but wanted to check.

SM23. I think you have a very good point about using a mild cleanser and reserving the 2% Sal for a leave on topical. I was going to buy some Glymed 2% wash since I'm out. But I think I'll give your method a shot first

BW MaxxC

Hey MaxxC!!

Definitely switch! I have previously been using a 2%SA face wash (Clearasil or Garnier) and 2%SA toner (Clearasil) twice daily... I have switched to using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and currently using the Stridex Maximum Strength 2% pads (alcohol free!).

Within a couple of days my face already feels a lot lot lot better! Much less irritated, red, no stinging from any products, etc.

I'm actually going to switch from the Stridex to Paula's Choice 2%BHA Liquid, as I believe it is better formulated and has a lower pH to allow for better penetration and exfoliation of the salicylic acid.

I may switch to the Paula's Choice One Step Cleanser, or even Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser, but I do like Cetaphil, it is cheap, gentle, and I have a lot of it left! Big Grin

Let me know how it goes MaxxC, but DEFINITELY ditch the 2%SA wash! I've used them for years, and they are useless!

Also avoid alcohol in your toners/topicals!

I bet you within a week you will feel a lot better! Try my advice for a week and see what happens! Big Grin
Just thought I'd add, I almost always use aqueous cream to wash my body in my shower, as my skin can get dry and irritated from other shower gels.
My back can be prone to some very mild breakouts, and red marks. I therefore thought I would try the Neutrogena 2%SA Body Wash as it seemed like the perfect thing for my back.

OMG it makes my skin really dry and itchy!
My back has gotten clearer from just using the gentle aqueous cream instead! Although I have just seen that Paula's Choice have made a new 2%SA body cream... it's really expensive though! I think I might try putting some LacSal on my back instead, and see how it goes! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,