Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I need help figuring out which product is best for my skin (long) Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hello

I need some help with your products, even though I did read through most of your site. I hope you can steer me in the right direction.

I have oily/sensitive/breakout prone skin. I am 44 yo. I used to breakout a lot as a teen (bad cosmetics back then!). But, I have not really had any active breakouts in the past few years (just occasional, if I'm not careful about what products I use). I do have some slight blotchiness/bumpy skin; but the bumpiness is only noticeable when the sun hits my skin in a certain direction, if that makes any sense.) I read the info on bumpy skin, and I'm glad you had this on the site. It makes so much sense now. I also have large pores. From your site, I determined I needed:

CP Serum
Exfol Serum

I have both. (tried them a few years back, but stopped when my skin began looking worse than when I began. I now understand this is the "uglies phase", so no worries now. I wish I knew that back then, though.)

1- Eye Area
Eventhough I have oily skin, I also have dry eye skin (lids, outer side of eyes, undereyes). What do I use for this?

CP Serum is too drying for me to use around my eye area. I've tried it, and that's when the skin got very red/dried out/rough. But, from reading your site, I understood that CP Serum is milder than the Eye cream? or am I mistaken? What should I be using to get rid of wrinkles around my eyes/crepey lids? (the wrinkles are fine, but I want to prevent any more from beginning!).

1-B:
Also, can I wear eye/face makeup OVER either the CP Serum or eye cream??

2- Forehead:
I had 2 horizontal lines on my forehead that were most likely from frowning at work. lol When I used CP Serum and Exfol Serum several years ago, they actually cleared up one of the lines! and half of the other one. *It's been 4 years since I've used your products, but I assume the CP Serum & Exfol are still good. They look and smell the same. I just have 1/2 of that pesky wrinkle left, but I don't know if I should use the CP S and Exfol again, or do I use a product with Retinol now? (my skin, though oily, is not as oily as it used to be).

3- Neck:
This is my worst area. It's not the typical "aging neck" issue you usually see in women. It's more like sleeping creases that just won't go away. The skintone on my neck is good (no wrinkles, no sagging), but I have these weird horizontal neck "creases"! I have 2 deep ones. I don't know if these happened from sleeping on too many pillows, or from the way I sit at the computer for hours at a time, or what. What should I use on my neck area?

Hre's the thing: I tried the CP Serum & Exfol Serum last night, and today the 2 lines are DEEP RED. I look like my neck's been slashed. Frowner Is this the "uglies" phase? or am I just very sensitive to the CP S and Exfol in my neck area? (I used only 2-3 drops!). Should I just try dilluting the Serums? Or do I maybe need a different product? (one of the creams? or the one with Retinol? or do i need to add the oil? I'm scared to use oil on my face, but I know using oil on my neck won't cause any breakouts.).

I'd like to be able to wear my bare minerals foundation over the red lines, to conceal them. Bare minerals is the only foundation I've ever tried that has not broken me out. I tested it out today, and my neck looks good that way. Is it ok to continue doing this, w/o ruining the work CP Serum is doing? (I can't go out without covering up these red creases, I have to work in public).

Thanks for the great products! I eagerly await your response.

~pkh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi PKH,

I would say read and stay true to the skin remodeling principles suggested by Dr. Pickart and then compare and contrast and adopt the experiences of people who have similar skin type as you. Experiment methodically and within common sense to find what products or regimen work best for you.

I wouldn't worry about the terminology or the experience of "uglies" or the red lines on the neck too much, as many of these temporary adverse skin reactions are shared in several proven topical actives. The skin around eyes and the neck is more sensitive and fragile, so use the actives lightly as you are at first and always with a BHO. Apply and be familiar with SB's tips and on how to modulate SRCPs with a bho at, http://www.reverseskinaging.com/tips.html

I had the same concerns as you about using oil on my breakout-prone skin and didn't use a BHO when I first used Exfol and SRCPs, but I strongly suggest you use a SB BHO or some kind of anti-oxidant oil in your SRCPs routine. The use of a bho serves to both modulate the uptakes of SRCPs (important skill to have to meet the different needs and changing conditions of the skin/face/scar) and protect the skin barrier so you may deliver more SRCPs and more consistently without experiencing adverse reaction.

Wearing CP Serum under makeup and sunscreens is protective for the skin. Some SRCPs users, including me, use BM. Makeup w/SPF is applied on top of SRPCs/DayCover(or a bho).

Re: forehead wrinkle

I personally prefer to use only one active solely in addition to a hydroxy acid at a time in the beginning, so I may learn to use and experiment with the active and frequency of application more efficiently and methodically. I would treat the forehead wrinkle first with acid/SRCPs/bho with different regimens first before using a retinol product. Experimenting with different strengths of SRCPs and hydroxy acids or mechanical dermabrasion will take you a good six to eight months. While building your skin with strong actives, don't forget to protect your skin barrier with a bho daily.

Re: Lines on Neck

The redness will pass. I would not use a different product or a retinol product on your neck yet. Zero skin irritation isn't necessary the best policy when rebuilding skin. You should minimize the irritation but not necessary eliminate or avoid it altogether, because some mild skin damage is necessary to initiate skin renewal.

In the beginning you may not want to use Exfol on your neck or use it every other day or two days and work your way up. Apply Exfol and then wait for 30+ mins and then prep your neck with a bho first before apply CP Serum will also slow the uptake of SRCPs and reduce some skin irritation.

You could dilute your CP serum to help the skin on your neck get acclimated to SRCPs.

Apply bho each time you apply SRCPs (on your neck or face or scar). Layer on the bho after SRCPs will push the copper peptides deeper into the skin to elicit stronger biochemical activities.

Apply a broad-spectrum physical sunscreen daily to protect the delicate exposed skin on the neck and face.

Hi JW Smiler

Thank you for such a detailed reply! I've learned a great deal by reading your posts here just in the few days since discovering this site. I really appreciate your helping me.

BM:
ok, good to know that the cosmetic is ok to use with the SB line. Smiler I really love this line. It's my HG makeup.

UGLIES:
I'm not worried about this phase. I understand that it is a neccessary part of the skin renewal. A lot of the scientific speak on here and the SB site goes way over my head, despite my college degree. lol Yet, I did get the gist of it. Smiler Today, I could see that the red lines on my neck almost looked like "razor burn". They're less red, almost a brown red now. And the skin looks "dry". I'm guessing that this is the old/damaged areas just being exfoliated slowly. ? I am sure that in time, they will slough off (sounds gross, lol), and I'm hoping that using my exfoliating sponge (buff puff) will help speed that along (I'm only applying very gentle pressure). So, like I said, I'm not worried about the dry skin, but I do wish I could use a "moisturizer" (without any oils in it!) to make it look better during the daytime. (more on that below)

BHO:
Here's the thing: I am almost terrified to put an oil on my face. lol Sad, but true. I use to have the type of skin that could break out by just LOOKING at a moisturizer which contained oil. I'd get really bad cystic type bumps *shudder*. So, as a result, I never used moisturizer on my oily skin. I never saw the need for it. Now, that I'm in my 40's however, y skin's oil production has really balanced out, for the most part, though I do still get oily in certain areas (thank goodness for blotting papers!). What I have been using for many years (4 yrs+) with GREAT success, is that Na-PCA spray. It feels really good on my skin, and most importantly, it is great for setting my Bare Escentuals foundation. I was really upset to see that the Na-PCA made SB's "no no list". ??? I liked the fact that I had finally found an oil free moisturizer that did not irritate my skin.

So, now what?
1- is something "bad" going to happen IF I continue to use Na-PCA spray along with my newly re-started SB program? (by "bad" I mean any adverse chemical reaction???). I respect that the Dr doesn't like that product, but if it's been working for me thus far, I'm not ready to stop using it. I really think it helped to keep my forehead wrinkles from coming back, after the SB products got rid of most of the creases.

2- Do you work for SB? I ask because I'd like someone from the company to address this question:

If I use one of the "oils" (Emu or Squalane) is it definitely NOT going to clog my pores/cause a breakout??? When I say I am terrified of oily substances on my face, I'm not exaggerating. lol I just don't see why I'd want to put MORE oil on my already oily skin. I mean, isn't the oil on oily skin the whole problem behind breakouts?? And yes, I do understand that the CP Serum helps to make skin less oily, but then WHY would I want to then add more oil? (yes, I do understand that the oil serves as a barrier to keep the moisture in the skin...IN. I guess much as a silicone keeps moisture in the hair IN. But in the skin, where is this "moisture" going to come from? Oil doesn't put any moisture into the skin. Does it? And is it possible that some people, as they age, simply don't generate as much "moisture" in their skin, as younger individuals do?). That's why I though the Na-PCA spray was good, because it said that it would put moisture in the skin, and then keep moisture attracted to the skin. (yes, I did read the part about "wet proteins" being bad, but that really confused me. People in tropical climate areas have some of the most supple skin I've ever seen, thanks to all the humidity...or so I thought.).

1- will the oils definitely NOT clog my pores/cause breakout?

2- if the answer is "yes, the oils will definitely NOT clog pores/cause breakout", then WHICH of the oil types should I use?
emu oil?
or
squalane?

UPDATE:
BS customer serv answered my question: said Squalane would be best for my needs (absorbs into skin more than Emu oil) I'm leaving my questions posted, in case it can help someone else with similar issues.

3- if I use these oils, where is the "moisture" they are supposed to keep IN, coming from (since I'm not using a product that ADDS any moisture to my skin)? Should I apply water to my face BEFORE I use the CP Serum? (ie, when I use a body lotion, I apply it on damp skin)

4- What is a "microdermabrasion cloth"? And does SB sell one?

Would a Buff Puff suffice?

I have used this for years, and really love it! Weird but, my skin is pretty tough when it comes to buff puffs and scrubs, but VERY sensitive to products with chemicals or oils. I'm not sure what type of skin type that is, really.

I used my Buff Puff this am, and it actually made a huge difference in how the skin looked on the outer corners of my eyes (what I called "uglies"). I didn't use it directly under my eye, since that skin is so delicate. What could I use, instead? I used it on the outer corners of my eyes VERY lightly.

UPDATE: SB customer service said Buff Puff was fine to use, so that's great!

Sorry for so many questions! I just want to make sure I'm doing all of this correctly, this time around. I'm very excited to see that the SB has been working so quickly on my skin. I don't know if that means I had a lot of damage, or just a little (close to the surface). I'm hoping it means the latter. ie, eventhough I've applied the Exfol Serum and the CP Serum all over my neck, it is ONLY on the 2 deep creases, that I'm seeing the dryness/redness occuring. The rest of the skin on my neck is fine. Actually, the rest of the skin is better than fine: very soft, and smooth.

Thanks for all your help! I eagerly await your response about whether or not I can still use the Na-PCA spray, or whether I should go ahead with the oils (and which).

~pkh

ps: just thought of something else to add: cleansers.

I read the part about acidic vs alkaline cleansers, on the site. However, I have been recently using Proactiv's cleanser (scrub) with good success, for a few weeks. I like it because it leaves my skin super soft. I don't know what the pH of this is, but is it ok to continue to use it? Wouldn't a swipe of a a BHA product be enought to "acidify" my skin afterward? I know that the Super CP Serum has a BHA in it, so I would think the answer is "yes", but thought I'd check to be sure.

thanks again!

UPDATE
I called to place an order for a few more products (got the Squalane, and more body cream -- I love the body cream as a hand cream!), and customer service was able to answer most of my questions. I'll leave my "answered" questions posted anyway, in case it can help others.

***I guess I only need question #3 answered, as well as the "ps" question re Proactiv cleanser.****

Huge Thanks! Smiler

RE: BHO

If you are breakout-prone and can get use to the slight smell of emu oil, emu oil has more functional uses in addition to cosmetic use and DOES NOT cuase breakouts (ironically). It dosn't hurt to try out all BHOs to see how they work for your skin to find the best oil.

How you would use BHO (before or after SRCPs) will depend on how your skin is reacting to SRCPs and your needs and objective. Consult the link I provided above on proper use of SRCPs and how to use BHO to modulate the uptake of SRCPs.

Increased hydration in the skin should come from sufficient daily water intake and the use of a topical BHO to prevent excessive dehydration (from skin barrier damage). I personally do not seek out high concentration topical hyaluronic acid products at this time, and I understand its use is pervasive in cosmetics and personal care products. You will have to make a personal choice about using high concentration Na-PCA (and hyaluronic acid) products. All I know is oil-free doesn't mean blemish-free and flawless skin is possible without the use of hyaluronic acid.

RE: MY AFFILIATION W/ SKIN BIOLOGY

I do not work for Skin Biology or speak for Skin Biology. Also, while I follow most of the skin care principles described by Skin Biology, I don't follow all recommendations or suggested SRCPs use.

RE: PROACTIV CLEANSERS

The benzyol peroxide glycolic acid cleanser that came in a kit worked well for me as well, but it (or the BP-medicated Repair Lotion) did make my skin feel raw and exposed after a year even when there was no visible skin damage. I prefer the other ProActiv beaded cleanser containing 2% salicylic acid - Deep Cleansing Wash. Smells pleasant and refreshing, too.

Picture of Kathryn06
The Cleanser is a tough one. I think that the best thing to do is to use some squalane to take off the makeup and accumulated oils and then a quick wash with a stronger cleanser (Gentle Clean is fine, I think--just don't overdo it). I never use soap on my face in the morning--just water and a washcloth. I used to be incredibly strict about pH and harmful ingredients with cleanser, but that just is not very practical all the time, so I think that just minimizing the soap is easier.

I find that squalane as a mosturizer makes my skin break out more than emu does.