Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Questions Regarding LacSal or Lactic Power 10 Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I am in my late 40s and have skin that tans easily but of course because of this I also have lots of hyperpigmentation on face and white "reverse" hypopigmentation spots on arms/lets. I also have dry, flaky shins despite using squalene and olive oil to moisturize. I want to purchase an exfoliator for face and body and am unsure whether to try LacSal or Lactic Power 10. My skin is combination and increasingly sensitive (a few broken facial capilaries and redness when using scrubs) -- likely due to age etc. I try to avoid burning but do not like sunscreens and will accept some photoaging. I also get skin checks at the derm twice a year. Any suggestions as to which exfoliation product could work for both face and body would be most appreciated. Also, is a sunscreen required with the use of your exfoliators?
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear Annie:

The difference between LacSal Cream and Lactic Power 10 is that LacSal Cream contains the addition of salicylic acid. Both exfoliators are 10% leave-on hydroxy acids.

Lactic acid is a safe, but very effective alpha hydroxy acid that works to help slough off dead skin cells for heightened skin cell turnover.

Why might the addition of salicylic acid be beneficial? Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid that works to penetrate at a deeper layer. So for damage existing for a longer time on the skin, the best of both worlds would probably be to use an alpha AND beta hydroxy acid mix: LacSal.

Some clients switch off (sometimes using LacSal other times using Lactic Power 10) and that is also fine to do.

Try to use your chosen method of exfoliation in the evening. Avoid using right before sun exposure. During the entire process (and once the skin has evened out to your satisfaction) be sure to wear either protective clothing or mineral sunscreen to avoid pigmentation problems from sun damage.

........................................................................................

For general information, please see:
http://reverseskinaging.com/body.html
http://reverseskinaging.com/hyperpigmentation.html

The key to more youthful-looking skin with improved elasticity is the use of a good method of exfoliation (with hydroxy acid and/or manual abrasion) + copper-peptides to help initiate improved skin appearance. Keep in mind that consistency and patience are vital.

Here is a suggestion:

AM Use:
Body (Legs) Area AM - After cleansing the skin*, apply a light amount Protect & Restore Body Lotion or TriReduction Cream. These are effective copper-peptide creams for the reducing the appearance of blemishes on the body. TriReduction is stronger than our P&R Body Lotion, but the body lotion is available in a larger size which may be better suited for coverage of larger areas.

Additional Tips - To increase potency, Super Cop 2X - Extra Strength can be added to the Body Lotion right before application or used as a spot treatment once or twice a day on specific areas. You can add a sample of Super Cop2X free with any purchase over $50 - Click here for more information.

PM Use:
Body (Legs) Area PM - After cleansing the area, lightly apply LacSal Cream (a 10% hydroxy acid product that helps exfoliate dead skin cells). Wait about 20-30 minutes before you apply anything on top.

*Note while cleansing the skin: Investing in a microdermabrasion cloth or skin scrub to effectively increase the skin cell turnover rate has helped many of our clients to see even better results from the copper peptides' work on the skin. Remember to use all methods of exfoliation in a gentle way so as not to cause excessive irritation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and helpful response. I really appreciate it. One thing I'm confused about is the need to apply sun protection. How does that square with "safe tanning?" I just want to help remove some damaged skin and improve cell turnover which has no doubt slowed because of my age. But I do not want to slather on sunscreen from head to toe and have an artifically pale look year round. My understanding is that the aha or bha products might increase photosensitivity because they strip away the top layer of skin an unexposed skin is more sensitive but so long as I do not overexpose and burn -- am I required touse a sunblock if I want to use your exfoliators?
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Annie:

Sunlight is beneficial for overall health and many do enjoy having a health, glowing tanned look.

The reason why we mentioned possibly using a sunscreen is that if you're dealing with hypo/hyperpigmentation the challenge is getting it to fade nicely and not return. Some have been able to work at it and get it to fade, then find that overexposure lands them right back into sun damage. So it's just something to be cognizant of.

But if you are applying our leave-on exfoliators at night this won't be a problem. Plus these exfoliators are mild; they are not peels. At 10% they will just serve to accelerate slightly your skin cell turnover rate.

Plus you won't be overexposing or burning, so you'll be fine. When looking for sunscreens though, always look for one with pure un-micronized titanium dioxide.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Thank you so much for the great response. So I apply the exfoliators in the evening but do I have to wash them off in the morning before going outside?
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Yes, you can wash them off in the morning.
thank you so much Dr. Pickart. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to wash it off in the morning. My shins are so flaky and dry that I'm worried daily wetting will only make matters worse. I've just started using the Lac-Sal cream on my legs at night and after AM shower they look flakier than ever. I then apply squalene and olive oil to shins. I am guessing it will take a few weeks for the flakiness to improve as this is likely layers of old, dead skin? Can I apply the Lac-Sal over the olive oil/squalene which I applied this morning tonight or do I have to take yet another shower? The idea of two showers a day seems like it will just dry me out more. I also bought the Lactic 10 which I plan to alternate with the Lac-Sal. I'm starting with the Lac-Sal.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Try just using the squalane for a time. You don't need to use much. This will calm your skin and when it does, use a copper peptide product but start it lightly.

When your skin is in better shape, then add in the hydroxy acids.
Thank you so much. I just wanted to know if when I do apply the lac-sal and power 10 at night, must I wash it off my body before going outside? Does lactic acid or sulfur in them make the skin more sun sensitive? I always wash my face in the am but does the body skin also have to be rinsed/washed before going outside?
Picture of SkinBioTeam
Dear Annie,

There is no need to wash them off in the morning.

Keep Smiling
~ TheSkinBioTeam
Update: WOW! I am experiencing progress much sooner than I expected. My shins are already noticeably smoother! I really had awful flaking and it is so much better that my hubby mentioned it. I alternate between the lactic power 10 and the lac-sal on both my body and shins. I noticed that the lac sal rapidly clears keratosis pilaris bumps (I only have this very mildly on upper thighs and a tad on back of arms). On my face, I use primarily the lac sal and maybe 2 times a week the lactic power 10. I do not use any exfoliants on tanning days and also give myself a day or so break afterwards. I moisturize with pure squalene or jojoba and olive oil on my body. I usually use jojoba and/or rose hip seed oil on my face. My biggest issue on the face is the hyperpigmentation which I hope the lac sal and lactic power 10 can help. My face feels smoother and I think the exfoliation will help moisturizers/serums penetrate better. Thanks for making such nice and effective exfoliators!
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Annie:

What a wonderful testimonial!

We are happy you are enjoying these quality exfoliating agents such as LacSal Cream and Lactic Power 10 - and that you are already seeing results!

Please keep in touch.

For added help reducing the appearance of your hyperpigmentation for a more even skin tone, please see our tips at: http://reverseskinaging.com/hyperpigmentation.html

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology