healthyskin.infopop.cc
Theoretical question

This topic can be found at:
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6870034833/m/6441056456

18 February 2015, 04:51 PM
kristos282
Theoretical question
First of all, thanks for your previous answers! Very helpful indeed.

I have one more question if you don't mind, kind of theoretical...

It is my understanding that the copper peptide molecule bind to copper. Is it correct then, that regarding the copper peptides in SB products, every copper peptide molecule contains one copper ion? I mean there are no copper peptide molecules in the products WITHOUT copoper ions, so these peptides has to find copper already in the body to bind to?

I mean you don't need to supply extra copper through the diet for these peptides to work? Is this correct understood?
22 February 2015, 06:50 PM
Dr. Pickart
The products have ample copper to function.

You can take extra copper if you wish.

The RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of 0.9 mgs daily for copper is very questionable. In one study of 24 men by the United States Department of Agriculture with a diet containing 1.07 copper mgs daily, four men developed serious heart problems after several weeks. My best guess is that we need a zinc to copper ratio of about 4 to 1. Perhaps 16 mgs zinc and 4 mgs copper. Too much zinc drives copper out of the body.

Am J Clin Nutr. 1985 Aug;42(2):242-51.
Indices of copper status in humans consuming a typical American diet containing either fructose or starch.
Reiser S, Smith JC Jr, Mertz W, Holbrook JT, Scholfield DJ, Powell AS, Canfield WK, Canary JJ.
Abstract

Twenty-four male subjects originally participated in a study to determine the effects of feeding diets comparatively low in copper (1.03 mg/day/2850 kcal) and containing either 20% fructose or starch on indices of copper status. During the course of feeding the diets for 11 wk, four of the subjects exhibited heart-related abnormalities and were removed from the study. Fructose ingestion had no effect on serum ceruloplasmin activity or serum copper concentration but did significantly reduce cuprozinc superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity of erythrocytes as compared to starch. Repletion of the subjects with 3 mg copper/day for 3 wk significantly increased SOD levels in subjects previously fed fructose but not starch. Apparent copper balance was significantly greater when the subjects consumed the fructose as compared to the starch diet. These results suggest that the type of dietary carbohydrate fed can differentially affect indices of copper status in humans.

The World Health Organization says 10 mgs/day of copper is safe.
27 February 2015, 08:08 AM
kristos282
Thanks!

So there is no circustance in which using copper peptide skin care products will INCREASE the need for copper in the diet?