Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
When to stop using exfol serum when trying to conceive? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hi Dr Pickart,

As the above question, may i know when should i stop using exfol serum while im hoping to get pregnant very soon, hopefully next month Smiler

Read from this website that it says must stop using sacylic acid within 3 months of intending pregnancy. So does it means that i can only starts to conceive after 3 months later since im using using the exfol serum?

So i came cross from the Neostrata website wyere the derm says that " Do not use products containing hydroquinone, salicylic acid or retinol while you are nursing, pregnant or if you intend to become pregnant within 3 months of use as these ingredients may be harmful if used in high concentrations or over large areas of the body during pregnancy."

article is on (Can i still use Neostrata products if im pregnant or nursing? )http://www.neostrata.ca/faqs/

Dr Pickart, I have another question, may i know how much % is then consider safe for AHA serum if i were to use it everyday during pregnancy? Is 5% AHA safe for use ?

Sorry for so much questions.

thanks once again. Smiler
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The advice from Neostrata is good. Retinol and salicylic acid can get into the body.

Hydroquinone is just a toxic chemical.

The alpha hydroxys stay on the surface of the skin. Low concentration AHAs are OK. You might use up to a 10% AHA but use it lightly.
Hi Dr Pickart,

thanks for your reply Smiler

So would you advise that i should stop using the exfol serum right now? Can i still try to concieve anytime sooner this week after i stop using the exfol serum tomorrow? Or should i only try to concieve 3 months later?

Sorry for the silly questions, but i hope you can help me with these.. =)

Thanks alot Dr Pickart
Picture of Dr. Pickart
That could be good. The salicylic acid is not really toxic but can decrease blood clotting.

Salicylic acid is in fruit and vegetables that our ancestors ate for the past 100 million years.
Hi Dr Pickart,

sorry once again but do you mean i can start to concieve anytime sooner once i stop using exfol serum right away?

Thanks for your time once again. Smiler
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Talk to your physician about this. The risks are very small but salicylic acid may decrease blood clotting in some instances.

We are working on lactic acid only exfoliator (no salicylic acid).