Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Vitamin and oil infused foundation primer/serum Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Dear Skin Biology team,

I would like to know your opinion when it comes to foundation primers, and if certain ingredients are harmful or helpful for the skin.

When I visited my dermatologist just after I suffered from 2nd degree acid burns on my face, he recommended that I use a product called Dermatix, which is an over priced silicone primer that they sold me in the office. I was told that once my burns healed over and the scabs came off naturally, to apply the Dermatix on the scarred areas to soften them.

I've taken note that since then, many primers have been introduced to the market, which are more affordable than Dermatix and appear to have additional ingredients that may possibly be more beneficial than silicone alone.

Two of the primers I'm interested in have the following ingredients:

1)
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Ceramide 3, Sphingolipids, Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis) Oil, Rose Hips Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil, Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Oil, Olive (Olea Europaea) Oil, Hazelnut (Corylus Americana) Oil, Borage (Borago Officinalis) Seed Oil, Kukui (Aleurites Moluccana) Nut Oil, Cherry (Prunus Avium) Pit Oil, Tocopherol, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Panthenyl Triacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Octyldodecanol, Dioctyl Succinate, Peg-8, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Lithospermum Officinale Root Extract, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) Oil, Geranium (Geranium Maculatum) Oil, Rose Geranium (Pelargonium Roseum) Oil, Vanilla (Vanilla Planifolia) Oil, Clove (Eugenia Caryophyllus) Oil, Orange (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis) Peel Oil, Petitgrain (Citrus Reticulata) Oil, Amyris (Amyris Balsamifera) Oil, Benzoin Siam Absolute, Lemon (Citrus Medica Limonum) Peel Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Leaf Oil, Bois De Rose (Aniba Rosaeodora) Oil, Cedar (Thuja Occidentalis) Leaf Oil, Ylang Ylang (Cananga Odorata) Oil.

2)
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Silica, Magnesium Silicate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract

What are your thoughs on foundation primers in general and/or the ingredients listed above?

Would it be okay to use a primer with any/all of the ingredients listed above over a CP cream or serum?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pinkdervish,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Basically my opinion is that skin primers have little value for skin. They were developed as a marketing product to go along with layering of products.

You can use those primers with our products. But there is little of value in such mixtures of ingredients.