Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why do I react so strongly to supplements? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hi,

I nned to know why? Supplements that enhance energy like copper and creatine. I took a normal dosage and yet they give me so much energy that I end up with insomnia.

One person told me it's because of my high metabolism, but I seem to be the only one from I know.

Could you please tell me if I had a super-reactive cellular response to supplements or if something else is wrong?
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Since you are young, you have enough energy. So, in general, you need few supplements. Maybe just some vitamin D to survive the long Canadian winters.
I've been taking the copper amino acid chelate supplement, and even in light does it seems to cause difficulty sleeping.

I was curious to know if copper sulfate is weaker than the former? I really need a copper supplement because of intense chronic ankle pain, but wanted something a little weaker.

Thanks.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
How much are you using?

Don't take copper sulfate - it will damage your GI tract. Stick to the amino acid-copper chelate.
Well centrum multivitamin has a copper sulfate component...I hope that's okay.

For the amino acid chelate I take roughly 500 mcg and it gives me difficulty in falling asleep at night. I would take zinc to balance it out except I believe that it indirectly raises DHT levels so I avoid it in supplements. That's why I want something weaker but just as effective.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Your copper chelate is 5 mgs daily which should be OK. But copper is mentally stimulatory, so it may be best to drop the extra copper.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,