Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Emu oil vs Squalane oil with Retinol Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
It's almost a month since I started using your products and I am just thrilled. Love

Firmer skin, better colouring, no new breakouts, brown spots (from old blemishes) fading (not all the way gone but working on it!). Even my undereye area is much improved.

I am ready to purchase more bho as I've used up the sample of Emu that comes in the regeneration sample kit. But then I wonder what would be the advantages of squalane with retinol instead of emu. Just stymied about it. N.B. I am going to be starting on Renova shortly so wondering if the squalane with retinol would be overkill (staying with emu) or if indeed I am ok with no Renova at all and the purchase of both BHOs.

My main goals are to rid myself of those dreaded brown spots from old blemishes and to lessen the fine lines (Am lucky as my lines are all small and fine as opposed to true wrinkles). I am so tired of those spots that I was even considering glycolic acid peels (in a dermo office, would never try myself).

Feedback much appreciated!!!

Wendy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
My advice would be to stay away from Renova. It is too strong. If you must use a Retin-a product, then I would use the .025% version, not the Renova which is .05%.

Also, note that Retinol is not the same as the acid that is in Renova or Retin-a.

There are obvious differnces between Emu Oil-s and Squalane with Retinol. I actually use both as needed for lipid replenishment. I use Emu when at home and Squalne when out because the Emu is a little too oily looking on the skin.

I would suggest that you just continue with what you are doing for the next 6 months, using Exfol as your acid exfoliant and SCRPs for skin rebuilding with EMu and Squalane (without Retinol if your blemish-prone) as your moisture/lipid replenishers.

Bottom line advice from me is - do not use Renova or Retin-a if you are using the Skin Bio products. I know many others say its ok, but for me it was too much for my skin to handle and actually made things worse.

Picture of Dave
For me, not only is the Renova .05 product not too strong, it causes no irritation at all. Blanket statements about products are not always helpful, as what is too strong for one person can be too weak for another.

-------------------------------------
A song don't have much meaning when it don't have nothin' to say, what she could do was magic son, all I could do was play. -- Harry Chapin
I agree with Dave. I have used CPs for almost 2 years and renova .05 for over 1 year. For me they compliment each other. I actually get no irritation from renova whatsoever, whereas CPs I have to be very careful with, especially around my eye area. I have dry skin, so I also use retinol in squalane during the daytime and emu oil at night well after the application of the renova. My advice would be to try it, listen to your skin to see if it's too much for you. We are all individiual and what works for one may not for another. Good luck.

Kathy
KathyC, I am amazed you are still able to keep the renova in your routine. It was a nightmare for me. It took a few months of just cps and emu before I could start adding Exfol(an acid) back into the routine.

BTW, Dave, why don't I just say the following every time someone needs advice : "What works for you might not work for others". That way I avoid blanket statements even though it is of NO help whatever. When I give advice based on my experience, it is not a blanket statement. It is just basically advice based on experience and should be used as such.
Well put unknown_soldier. Feedback and suggestions are exactly that - observed, derived, or experienced opinions and preferences. If it's impossible for a person to experience and know all divergent experiences and views, then it's easier and clearer for people just to post and share their own experiences and points of view as objectively and personally as they wish and the collective differences would become obvious. Communicating this way is a lot more productive and pleasant for everyone than to make disclaimers or critical reviews of each others' views and experiences.

Wendy,

RE: BHOs

There are preferences and variability such as patience, effeciency, costs, feel, and downtime an individual has to contend with personally when making a purchase decision. A lot of time the choice of bho depends on an individual's skin type, age, and feel and wear of the product.

In general, SB's Emu oil has a universal appeal for all skin types and age groups, including blemish-prone skin. Emu oil seemed to have also worked well for your skin. However, it does tend to sit on the skin longer when used too much or undiliuted where the skin can feel greasy for hours.

The qualitative differences and not necessary an advantage of Squalane with Retinol over Emu Oil may be a seemingly more and faster penetration, less greasy feel but still oily, and a cleaner feel for those sensitive to animal products or odor.

I believe you said you have dry skin and not particularly blemish-prone. Squalane with Retinol would be a good choice to experiment as well if you want a break from emu oil.

RE: SQUALANE W/ RETINOL & RENOVA IN TREATMENT OF HYPERPIGMENTATION

The retinyl palmitate in SB's Squalane with Retinol probably would have very little effect on reducing hyperpigmentation. The retinol is not in the bioactive form and probably not at a high enough concentration to remodel PIH scars but can increase oil production in the skin.

Since you've used SRCPs for less than two months and with great results, I would suggest one or two more months of using various strengths of hydroxy acid/SRCPs and BHOs before starting on Renova to get rid of your hyperpigmentation because as you say you may not need to use the prescription Renova to remove PIH even if the prescription tretinoin is known for its reduced side effects.

Even if there is no gurantee that stronger hydroxy acid and SRCPs with BHOs will remodel your hyperpigmentation since you have gotten strong peels from a derm or that you may or may not see results slower than Renova, hydroxy acids and SRCPs have little side effects when used properly and are what our skin needs for general good health.

You could always use Renova in the fourth month or later when your skin may need to rest from hydroxy acids and SRCPs. Later on, you could even do a combination retinoid and SRCPs treatment if you wish. However, you may want to hold off on the tretinoin and Cu+2 treatment even when there are SRCPs users using the combination skin regimen. I came across one published paper writing about the two causing DNA damage recently and have not researched into yet.

Thank you so much for your very detailed response to my questions.

I think I will actually order both the squalane with retinol and the emu. More room for safe experimentation that way.

I've never had a glycolic peel, but am sorely tempted. My brown and red post-blemish spots are really horrible and I would love to not 'have' to wear foundation. I would also like to have my old glow back. *Sniff*

As for Retin A/Renova? I think I should hold off using it for the very reason you stated. The possibility of DNA damage when using tretinoin and Cu+2 in tandem is enough to give me pause.

Thanks, everyone.

You are welcome skincarefreak.

It takes time to read and review abstracts. Feel free to look into published literature and post any findings anyone.

Wendy,

Even skin tone and glow is possible just with shorterm use of Exfol/SRCPs/BHO.

Aside from the time issue for early result to remodel hyperpigmentation, I also meant to suggest that often the PIH will go away by itself (slower than we'd like) or with the help of Exfol or any home peels along with SRCPs/bho treatments over several months with little risk of complication. Long-term use of SRCPs also will certainly reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and overall skin tone and texture even more.

Although PIH can be reduced with a full face clinical strength peel as well and maybe even with some appreciable or early improvement, there is also a higher risk for deep skin trauma which will cause new hyperpigmentation. I'd ask the doctor or the licensed esthetician questions relating to risks associated with the procedure ahead of time. Sorry to make your decision difficult, but somethings are worth considering and weighing if you hadn't.