Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
waxing of the face Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Also, skin bio...
I was just reading some old posts where you all mention that stem cells that renew and repair skin come from hair follicles. 98% of these are the small vellus hair follicles in the skin.

Your answer was regarding laser treatments, but it got me to thinking about the damage waxing might cause to these small vellus hair follicles. Does waxing of the face cause damage to the hair follicles, and thus, to the reparitive process?
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I was wondering about a similar thing. Assuming the skin doesn't show irritation, will sugaring the hair off legs damage the hair follicles?
Count me in as curious, too-- the other night I noticed that my peach fuzz was turning into mutton-chops, and waxed my cheeks & jaw/chin area right then (I do kinda miss the vaseline-on-the-lens effect now, though; it minimized blemishes). I don't want to cause any structural damage to my skin, and I won't be waxing there as often as I do my upper lip, but it would be good to know.
You are so funny. 40 years ago that vaseline on the lense effect would've landed you a role on the original Star Trek. Seriously, I know what you mean, those downy hairs really give a the face a certain glow.
....i wouldn't be laughing so hard if i just hadn't done waxed this morning.
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Cricket and All:

We have alerted Dr. Pickart to this question. We'll post his answer back or when he has a chance he'll post back his thoughts on this.

Thank you,
-Skin Bio Team
Actually, it occurred to me that this is probably a more significant issue for people who wax their eyebrow area (I don't; mine are a bit sparse), since the skin is so delicate. Seems like it could make a difference in indivduals' upper-eyelid response to SRCPs.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by cricket:
Also, skin bio...
I was just reading some old posts where you all mention that stem cells that renew and repair skin come from hair follicles. 98% of these are the small vellus hair follicles in the skin.

Your answer was regarding laser treatments, but it got me to thinking about the damage waxing might cause to these small vellus hair follicles. Does waxing of the face cause damage to the hair follicles, and thus, to the reparitive process?

Waxing might cause some follicle damage but it should be must much, much less than lasers which heat the skin and burn the area.