New
Find
Notify
Tools
cleansing and salicylic product questions Login/Join

Picture of Pirate Jenny
posted   Report This Post  
A few questions:

What are the ingredients of your cleansing bar? Can you recomend any other methods of cleansing as well? (If you've published more information on the science of cleansing the skin, please point me toward it.)

Also, on Paula Begoun's website (and books), she cites studies on salicylic acid that shows that it's only useful for exfoliation when in a solution between PH 2 and 3.5. I have had pretty good results simply applying crushed aspirin in water to my skin for a few minutes, and I'm not sure if this is the exact same acid as salicylic acid, but it does exfoliate. I'd like to use an exfoliation product that stays on the skin, as I'm having some strange horomonally induced breakouts and serious clogged pores, but I'm concerned about the PH levels and efficacy, as well as the safety of acidic products on the skin.

So, first, what is the PH of your exfol products?

And how do you feel about the studies showing only lower PH solutions to be effective for exfoliation?

Also, how safe do you think it is to us a highly acidic product, and doesn't the acid neutralize after some time on the skin anyhow?

And finally, if I disolve aspirin tablets in water and apply it to my face, is this the same as a salicylic acid solution, and if not, why does it produce the results it does?

Thank you very much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
1. Gentle Clean was originally made for cleansing fragile skin. Skin Biology does not own or have the formula. The ingredients are not listed because the manufacturer and inventor keeps them secret and says the big companies would just steal them. People have very few problems with Gentle Clean. The FDA does not require ingredients on soaps.

2. Studies actually show that salicylic acid has exfoilating actions on human skin up to pH 6.0 (about 10% of the action at pH 3.2) even though chemical theory says it should be inactive at pH 6.0. Your aspirin probably is exfoliating. Humans have been exposed to salicylates for at least 100 millions years as they ate plants and fruits. They are among the safest of chemicals.

Aspirin is acetyl-salicylic acid which is milder on the stomach than pure salicylic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBioTeam,