Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Venuceane--good or bad? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hi Dr. Pickart,

I was just wondering if venuceane would be safe to use on the skin?

I've read that Venuceane is an antioxidant peptide derived from a type of bacteria that lives in deep sea hydrothermal vents. Venuceane is supposed to protect skin from UV rays, and according to Sederma (maker of venuceane), Venuceane can save five years on one's skin in six months, decreasing signs of photoaging (wrinkles, etc.).

Has anyone on the forum tried this? Did it work for you?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I have no idea what they mean. It is always good to remember that most cosmetic companies are really advertising agencies that sell skin products.

The latest research on skin care is saying that wrinkles and aging are the result of a lack of adequate signals for tissue regeneration, not free radical damage or cellular damage. Scientific American Oct. 2008.

So bacteria that live 3000 meters under the ocean, where light is absent, have developed remarkable UV protective systems. Is there any published research on this from credible university researchers? Did they do 5 years of research on humans?

A few years ago, there were companies selling water from 1000 meters down off the Japanese coast that would renew skin, but again no real science. Maybe it was all the toxins from chemical plants that piled up of the coast.