Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CP + tretinoin Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I am new to CP products but have been using prescription tretinoin (retin-a) for 2 1/2 years. I see some of the CP products have retinol in them so that leads me to wonder can I mix my tretinoin with my CP product?

asphaltsally
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear asphaltsally:

Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

At times we've had confusion over our products that contain retinyl-palmitate.

Retinol (retinyl-palmitate) when added to our products works as an effective lipid replenisher or moisturizer - It is very different than Retin-A.

Although both Retin-A and retinyl-palmitate are derived from vitamin A, they act differently. A small amount of topical retinol also is converted in the skin to retinoic acid. But this is a small amount.

Retin-A, which is prescription only, can cause a dryness and some find that their skin is very sensitive to it. Whereas the retinol/retinyl-palmitate found in our creams, etc is added for its ability to serve as a wonderful moisturizer and the other skin healthy properties it has.

Can Copper-Peptides and Retinoic Acid Products Be Used Together?
Yes. Retin-A can be used along with Skin Biology's copper-peptide products. The retinoic acid product would be applied first and then, after approx. 5-10 minutes, copper-peptides could be lightly applied on top. See further suggestions below:

We can advise clients that Retin-A, depending on the percentage prescribed to them, might increase the uptake of copper-peptides applied directly on top. So our copper-peptides may feel stronger after an application of Retin-A. Therefore, it is important to apply the copper-peptide product very lightly.

How to layer:

• If you are using a copper-peptide oil-free serum (or liquid):
Apply the copper-peptides first then your Retin-A cream can be applied lightly on top.

• If you are using a copper-peptide cream:
Cream versions of our products with their fatty molecules may actually block the Retin-A uptake. So it may be best to first apply your Retin-A product, then use copper peptides lightly on top.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Perfect! Thank you so much.

asphaltsally
Picture of Adria-Alexis
Really? Up until reading this I was under the impression that the 2 could not be combined and had to be used on alternate nights (which is what I have been doing). I have .50%. Then I read to use the copper first and wait two hours until adding Retin-A?

Also, while researching Retin-A I read that light deteriorates it and it should be put on right before turning out the lights at night (is this true?) and also that nothing can be put on top of Retin-A? I had been piling on serums and moisturizers after waiting an hour. Which way is correct? I have .50%. It's so confusing with so many different ways and not knowing who to trust (I trust here which is why I'm asking here Smiler )

Also, when you combine the Retin-A with the CPs should the lacsal go on first as usual? (I always use it, wait an hour or so and then use the CPS.) So would it be the same if I was going to add Retin-A on top? And CAN you layer on top of Retin-A and use a moisturizer (one site says yes, another says no way)or must it be worn alone and never be in the light? So confused...

This is fantastic news, but does combining diminish the level of functioning of either the CPS or Retin-A ? And if you put the Retin-A on first does that work similar to the AHAs since it's an acid or would it be even better to add an AHA first, or is that too much?

SO glad I stumbled upon this thread! This is front page news!
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Adria-Alexis:

Thanks for posting your questions.

We're glad this thread has been able to help you learn how to successfully use retinoic acid products and copper-peptides together. These two products have been used together by our clients for quite some time and we've found that a number of techniques seem to work quite well.

Dr. Pickart may reply back with his thoughts, when he has the chance as well.

But in other areas of our forum, he has said that "many of our clients just use the retinoic acid at the same time they use the copper peptides and report good results."

The following posts are very interesting on how Retin-A and Copper Peptides have been used:
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...630029825#1630029825
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=782101862#782101862
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...920003065#6920003065

If you do try to use Retin-A together with copper peptides, always test on a small area first. Do not use LacSal or another hydroxy acid (no need to use the hydroxy acid product). Although retinoic acid is not an hydroxy acid and they act differently there is no need to use the two together, and typically it is not recommended.

In our experience, we've had clients layer a moisturizer or CP product on top of their retinoic acid product with no issues. Much may depend on the percentage of Retin-A, skin type and sensitivity, and what a person is trying to accomplish.

The best/simplest way to start using the products is just to replace our hydroxy acid recommendation with your retinoic acid product (i.e. use your copper-peptide product of choice in the AM / and in the PM use your retinoic acid product). And don't worry about layering.

If you do want to try layering, consult our tips listed above. And test on a small area first. But please do not think you have to layer. It might be easiest just to keep your regimen very simple: AM - Copper peptides / PM - Retinoic acid.

Layering as we mention above does not diminish the efficacy of either product. But be advised though that it can increase uptake, so it is best to go slow. Of course for starters, simply use the two at opposite ends of the day. It's much less confusing that way. And still very effective!

Everyone's skin is as different and unique as the individual herself. So effective skincare advice, many times, may be confusing to cipher through because it will take that fact into account.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Personally I've found that I can use a stronger retinoic acid with much less irritation if I put CP cream over it. I use them at night and lacsal in the AM because I like how makeup goes on over lacsal. But since you've said that's not necessary I'm going to try switching to a vitamin c product during the day because I have used that before with great results.

asphaltsally
Picture of Adria-Alexis
The following posts are very interesting on how Retin-A and Copper Peptides have been used:
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...630029825#1630029825
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=782101862#782101862
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...920003065#6920003065

Dear Skin Bio, Thank you SO much for replying and with such detailed advice as well! Smiler I *really* appreciate these links that you posted too - such a wealth of information there. Years and years of forum posts and answers (let alone all the information on the site itself!). I didn't realize these went so far back! It's all a virtual gold mine of information! I'm in awe...

The reason I was so shocked about the headline of this thread was because I kept reading things that said they weren't compatible so this seemed like such a major change and relief after trying to juggle not only cps and retin-a but also vitamin c all incompatible i thought.

I found the coolest post back there about the reason SB was started was because women in the neighborhood were saying how well Retin-A and CPs worked together!

Thanks for all the time you took to look up those links and explain all that you did. I think I'll be visiting the old forums (assuming I can keep up with the new ones) quite often.

Many thanks,

Adria-Alexis
Picture of Adria-Alexis
quote:
Originally posted by asphaltsally:
Personally I've found that I can use a stronger retinoic acid with much less irritation if I put CP cream over it. I use them at night and lacsal in the AM because I like how makeup goes on over lacsal. But since you've said that's not necessary I'm going to try switching to a vitamin c product during the day because I have used that before with great results.

Really? I will have to try that, thanks for sharing. Right now I'm on .05% cream. I have .1% gel in the closet but found the gel was more harsh and also read that the cream is for dry skin and the other is not which makes sense. Will have to get the cream and give it a try. Smiler thanks asphaltsally
I have some of that gel too and it is definitely more irritating. I think they typically prescribe it for blemishes, not wrinkles. I use it just occasionally when I want an extra aggressive boost with extra peeling, on my chest where there is deep sun damage, not on my face.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

asphaltsally
Picture of Skin Biology
We just had a nice testimonial posted at:
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...301027056#4301027056

The client (from Italy) says:

"My new cosmetician today told me she has never seen any woman aged as me (49) with such a bautiful skin, so lightly, so smooth, so unwrinkled. I told her I have been using skinbio for nearly 8 years, together with retin a in the night 3x week. So satisfied!"

Seems like retinoic acid and copper peptides are continuing to work for people. Smiler
NICE!

asphaltsally