Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
microdermabrasion cloths Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I've been reading the posts about microdermabrasion cloths. I never tried them so I bought myself a pack in CVS. One side is smooth and the other side has bumps so I guess that would be the dermobrasion side. I really don't know how I should be using these. Do you use them dry? Should my skin be wet or dry? I've cleansed my face and while the cleanser is still on I used the rougher side on my face. Am I doing anything right? Thanks for your help. Also someone in an older post mentioned using an AHA or BHA cream with it and I don't know what that is either.
Again thank you for your help.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Irene, I stand with you in the confusion corner concerning the cloths. I don't know if "microdermabrasion" and "microfiber" cloths are supposed to be the same thing or not. On another forum I kept reading about the microfiber cloths for exfoliation and that they could be found at Walmart in the automotive section. I found about 2 or 3 different textures of cloth there all with the term "microfiber" on them; one being like a very soft washcloth and the other was smooth, almost like a neoprene (like those zip-up beer-bottle huggies), or BodyGlove material. Maybe what you have is both. I've not yet found one with "dermabrasion" on it, but for $10 online, that seems pricey to me when what I got was $3 at Dollar General for three. What I've found mine are good for is gently "fluffing" away dead skin cells after washing my face...more effective and gentler than a regular washcloth, and I can be as gentle or as aggressive as I want to be, I really like mine. Does the rough side of yours feel like a soft terrycloth material? I use it wet and wrung out well. I've tried it dry, it did nothing.
Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Beta Hydroxy Acids are the creams mentioned. I don't know about the method you're referring to, but if you do a search on the main site for "hydroxy acid" you should come up with some articles on the site to get you started, at least until someone else comes along who's been here longer than I.
I'm glad you asked about the cloths, I've been wanting to know too, but just never asked.
Oh Good, we should get some helpful answers here now.
I have one pack from CVS that says facial cleansing pads. One side for gentle cleansing and the other side is textured for exfoliating, but it is still soft. I was using them dry and didn't think to wet it. Maybe wetting would be better. I also use it while I have cleanser still on my face. Don't know if I should or not. I would like to know about the AHA creams,etc and where to get them. Can any be bought in local stores? It's all very confusing. We should get some good replies though.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
They are probably all similar. Such cloths were first used to remove rust from steel.
Ooohhhh, Irene, I think I know what you got. They're disposable, right? A pack of several round (I think) palm-sized discs? What do the instructions say to do? Do they already have a cleanser on them? If so, ingredients must be checked before including them in your routine. The bumps feel like rubber, right? I'll bet you got a CVS version of a Walmart version of a bigger cosmetic brand of exfoliating cleansing pads I got about 3 years ago. See if it's got a "Compare to such-n-such brand" on the front.
Irene, I just took a quick look at your older posts, and you already have some hydroxy acid products; the Lacsal and Exfol are the SkinBiology acid creams. There are others out there, and Maxx and Rossana and others have given you some advice on hydroxy acid peels, which is a lot of information to process, so take your time and read more info (here in the forum as well as the articles on the main site) before trying a peel if you're so inclined. I'm about to try my first one myself. For now the products you already have are good, and you'll start seeing progress soon; I started with Skin Signals and Lactic Power 10 back in April and I'm only just now starting to see some improvements in tone and texture...my saggy lines around my mouth are starting to tighten up, but I'll also give possible credit to the supplements and increased water intake I recently started. You're doing fine. We're here. These folks are helping me, too... Thumbs UP!
Thanks, Mary. I didn't realize the AHA acids and BHA acids I was reading in the post was the exfol and lacsal creams. Should I even be allowed to play with this stuff? LOL.
The dermabrasion cloths are disposable and what you described. I wet it before like you mentioned and I think it was more effective. How should I use it with the acid creams. Exfoliate with the cloth first and then apply creams? I was going to get a professional peel but chickened out. Thought maybe it would be better to wait till winter when I'm not in the sun so much because of the skin sensitivity. I have lots of the SB products and just keep alternating.
thanks,
I don't know about using acid creams with cloths, you might ask whomever it was that posted that. Do these disposeable cloths come with ingredients or cleanser already on them? All I know is that the ones I had bought, I only used a couple of times and decided that they were ineffective. I like the ones I get from the dollar store in the automotive section. I use it wet and wrung out, after washing my face and face is still damp, I cover one or two fingers with a layer of cloth...using gentle strokes like you're putting sunburn ointment on a child, whatever dead cells that are on the skin can be visibly fluffed up and pushed around. Another quick rinse of the face to get those off and I'm ready for my products. Smiler
Hi Mary,
The cloths don't have anything in them. But I started wetting them and can see a difference. After washing my face I'll dampen a cloth and lightly exfoliate my skin just as you do. Hopefully this is a good process. Then our skin would be ready for whatever creams we apply.
The other night I used the cloth and then applied the lacsal cream. It seemed okay. If anybody has anything to add, please join in.
thanks,
You can use the cloths dry, or wet. I tend to like doing it wet, as it removes my make up etc. I know though that the cloths I use you won't find in the automotive section - and can't think why people would use something for cars on their faces, as those cloths are much coarser than mine. I think Nanci at NCN has a great pricing for them, but I've read others have found them on the net much cheaper and those certainly are for facial use.

I'm not sure that you need to use AHA acids and BHA acids with the cloths, as that might be too much exfoliation with you (depending on your skin). Most people don't from what I've read, and certainly Nanci is an angel who you should ask that question to.

Theresa