Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Question for Dr. Pickart Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Product for nails, since I am new, could you tell me, my son has really bad ingrown toe nails on big toes. They are so bad they bleed.
Can you suggest anything??
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
When a toenail is ingrown, the sides or corners of the nail curl down and dig into the skin, causing swelling, pain and redness.

While many things can cause ingrown toenails, the major causes are shoes that don't fit well and improperly trimmed nails. Shoes that are too tight press the sides of the nail and make it curl into the skin. Nails that are peeled off at the edge or trimmed down at the corners are also more likely to become ingrown.

To avoid ingrown toenails, you should cut your nails straight across. The top of the nail should make a straight line.

When the problem is mild, you may only need to soak your foot in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes and place dry cotton, such as part of a cotton ball, under the corner of the nail. Signs that the problem is getting worse include increasing pain, swelling and drainage of the area. Sometimes minor surgery is needed to remove the part of the nail that is poking into the skin. If you have concerns, the best course of action to take is to speak with your physician.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thank you very much

I feel he is going to need minor surgery for this.