Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Black Dye Reaction Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hi All I am new to the board and mainly its because I have a problem. 3 weeks ago I lightly relaxed my hair. I used my folligen for a week afterward and then gave it a break because I wanted to dye my hair. I have washed my hair several times after my break of the folligen.

Yesterday I dyed it Starry Night (jet Black) by Feria. During the color process my scalp began to feel warm. But it quickly went away. after 25mins I washed out the dye and applied the conditioner that came with the package. After 5 mins I rinsed it out and got out of the shower to look in the mirror at my dye job. My ends were perfectly black but as I got to the root they were copper/blonde. Any Idea What Went Wrong? Could it be a reaction of the Folligen that may have bonded to my hair? I am worried that my hair may end up falling out or breaking off between the dark and light colored hair...so far I have been keeping it moisturized ...but I am wondering what to do.

any help would be great! Also I am attaching a picture.

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
What are the ingredients in the dye that you used? It is possible that one of these reacted with the copper.

We have very few such reports but cannot how Folligen will work with various chemical mixtures.
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear Hair Diva:

Having personally had a relaxer before, hair color, and at the same time using Folligen for many years, I thought of a couple of additional follow up questions for you:

- How had you been applying the Folligen product and how often?

- How long was your break from Folligen copper-peptides before the color treatment?

- And exactly what type of kind of relaxer was used when you "lightly relaxed" the hair? A texturizer? Or a full relaxer left on for less time? Was it a box kit product you had successfully used before?

As Dr. Pickart stated, the overwhelming majority of clients using the product have never had this issue. Still, the answers to the above questions may help you determine what might have occurred.

Keeping the area well moisturized and deep conditioned is always of benefit to relaxed hair.

If you noticed any dryness be sure to have a stylist take a physical look at the area.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology