Notify
Tools
Grey Hair Login/Join

Picture of oskyz
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
quote:
burdock oil

Very interesting Torn!

I had never even heard of Burdock oil before. I just did a search on it.

I saw some versions of Burdock with Nettle. What do you think of that? Sounds like something worth trying... I wonder how it relates to emu oil?

I have tried olive oil as a deep conditioner (Dr Oz!) and it's great! But will try the burdock oil in the scalp. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes Maxx, too funny. I still don't 'understand' what's in Nioxin vitamins. I did try the shampoo and it was too harsh on my hair.

My challenge area: I have found the hair on the top of my hair is more breakable (thus shorter in length) and has less sheen than the rest. That's where I have my gray strands (not enough to have to color, but they are there), so maybe it's hair aging - but I am determined to improve it.

I need to be better about alternating to cover my bases with both products. Was doing FFB for the top and Foligen for the hairlines. FFB just does seem to be messier.

I did find a good trick recently! I put my Foligen in one of the sample bottles (like squalene sample) with the narrow opening and use it as my applicator bottle. That way I can get the narrow line on my finger to apply at the various 'parts'. Otherwise, with the bigger bottle, it just squirted out to much and too thick - lots of waste.
quote:
My challenge area: I have found the hair on the top of my hair is more breakable (thus shorter in length) and has less sheen than the rest. That's where I have my gray strands (not enough to have to color, but they are there), so maybe it's hair aging - but I am determined to improve it.

Oskyz,
I have the same problem. I have been trying to find a solution for about three years now. The hair on the top of my head is dry and brittle and more tightly curled; it breaks off when I comb it. No conditioner has been able to soften it, not even the folligen. The hair on the rest of my head is very soft, loosely curled and long. It is a very weird problem. If it is due to aging, then why doesn't the hair on the rest of the head age in the same way? It would be nice to find a solution.
Picture of stoney
It could be from an imbalance in your diet. Hair & nails are often a giveway that something is lacking or not right.

Just a thought... Smiler
quote:
I still don't 'understand' what's in Nioxin vitamins.

I don't know what is in them.

My esthetician, although she has nothing to do with the Nioxin Vitamins, is always saying you can't look simply at ingredients its as much in the formulation and delivery system as in the ingredients.

In a similar vein Dr. Pickart said there is much more to Skin Biology then the amount of Copper in each product. Thats why two Skin Biology Products with the same relative amount of Copper can act so differently.

Started them November 20th and Hair Signals about the same time. Not sure whats doing what but the hair is thicker then when I was only on FFB.

If you want thicker hair or maybe some new hair growth they might help, like most men. For women probably not much value unless they suffer from the same conditions. I am taking them twice per day a.m and p.m but they only need to be taken once per day.

Like I said the fact that 90 plus reviewers on Amazon. Gave them a higher average score then 5% Minoxidil at least makes me believe its a fairly good product and at least worth a try if suffering from the conditions it targets. I think grey hair is excluded as I have read no reviews stating their hair turned from grey/white back to its natural color while on the oral Nioxin Vitamins.
Picture of oskyz
Maxx,

I already take so many vitamins, but just added it to my to do list to buy and try some.

Do you take L-Tyrosine for gray reversal (or do you have those strands popping up yet).

Stoney and Kitty,

My hair dresser says the top hair being fragile is because it's more exposed to the elements, but I don't see it. Although I read that some derms find that over time a flat or curling iron really can cause damage and breakage. I think I over did trying to straighten that part (my frizzy part) with a blow dryer when I went through an 'I want my hair straight' phase'.

I could see diet, but it is soooo hard for me to imagine me having a deficiency in anything. But maybe Maxx's Nioxin vitamins could fill in some holes there.

NiceKitty, there is a 'fix', if not a solution. I did it a couple of months ago, and wanted to post it, but was afraid I'd get shot for posting something 'unnatural'.

Brazilian Blowout. Yes, if I do it again I will wear a gas mask for the formaldehyde gas that OSHA says they found in it (how dare the company lie). But they avoid the roots of the hair anyway so it doesn't get in your scalp.

Next time I will have them leave in the curl (they left it half curly last time).

Anyway it coats and 'laminates' the hair for 3 months and adds sheen and gets rid of frizzies. It can be used to also straighten, but it can be left curly. I think between the Brazilian blowout (BB) 'protecting' my hair, and the FFB it is starting to grow a bit. (I already do MSM for growth).

I know BB is not for many, and lucky people like Stoney don't need it, but really, for hair that loses its sheen, it's a 'holy grail' treatment. Shiny hair IMO is like healthy skin - it catches attention.

You can google it - tons of before and after pics on the internet.

Biggest problem: Compressing the cuticle made my hair feel thinner immediately (not hair loss or true thinning). The same thing happened when I tried a flat iron once. With BB it took 2 weeks to start filling out again. So next time I'm leaving it curly/wavy so they only use the flat iron once (to set it) not twice (to straighten it). I will probably coat my scalp with folligen and emu oil before treatment also.
quote:
Do you take L-Tyrosine for gray reversal (or do you have those strands popping up yet).

I got what looks like maybe 5 grey hairs in each temple. I'm sure there's more but I could literally count them.

Some times when I'm off a few days I do what I call the Eurotrash look and don't shave. But I usually do shave everyday.

What I had noticed were some grey whiskers here and there. But that was before SB and now I don't really see any. Its no biggie since I rarely go unshaven but it was enough to convince me some copper in the hair may not be a bad idea if nothing else for prophylactic reasons.
Picture of oskyz
Encouraging results re the gray sprinkles in the beard. (Men do seem to get gray there first.)

You really seem to respond well to copper peptides!
Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by MaxxC:

Some times when I'm off a few days I do what I call the Eurotrash look and don't shave.

Ya, my husband tries to pull this off in the winter - shaving every other day which can easily turn into 2 or 3 if I don't keep on him.

29 years married today & still no gray, that is a feat in & of itself...the married part I mean... Laughing
quote:

I've thought the same myself on numerous occasions and wondered why. I though at one time maybe I was just really deficient in copper and that's why.

But that dosen't seem to explain it since I looked fairly young for my age prior to Skin Biology. Of course maybe not. Notice how everyone at class reunions, but ourselves, seem to age.

29 years totally awesome Smiler It will be 27 for us this August. That means the Mrs was 19. I look at my Daughter who just turned 25 and I think she looks way too young to get married. LOL.
quote:

I've thought the same myself on numerous occasions and wondered why. I though at one time maybe I was just really deficient in copper and that's why.

But that dosen't seem to explain it since I looked fairly young for my age prior to Skin Biology. Of course maybe not. Notice how everyone at class reunions, but ourselves, seem to age.

29 years totally awesome. It will be 27 for us this August. That means the Mrs was 19. Totally lamest proposal ever and I did it over the telephone Smiler
Picture of Chi Di
quote:
Originally posted by oskyz:
Maxx,

NiceKitty, there is a 'fix', if not a solution. I did it a couple of months ago, and wanted to post it, but was afraid I'd get shot for posting something 'unnatural'.

Brazilian Blowout. Yes, if I do it again I will wear a gas mask for the formaldehyde gas that OSHA says they found in it (how dare the company lie). But they avoid the roots of the hair anyway so it doesn't get in your scalp.

Next time I will have them leave in the curl (they left it half curly last time).

Anyway it coats and 'laminates' the hair for 3 months and adds sheen and gets rid of frizzies. It can be used to also straighten, but it can be left curly. I think between the Brazilian blowout (BB) 'protecting' my hair, and the FFB it is starting to grow a bit. (I already do MSM for growth).

I know BB is not for many, and lucky people like Stoney don't need it, but really, for hair that loses its sheen, it's a 'holy grail' treatment. Shiny hair IMO is like healthy skin - it catches attention.

You can google it - tons of before and after pics on the internet.

Biggest problem: Compressing the cuticle made my hair feel thinner immediately (not hair loss or true thinning). The same thing happened when I tried a flat iron once. With BB it took 2 weeks to start filling out again. So next time I'm leaving it curly/wavy so they only use the flat iron once (to set it) not twice (to straighten it). I will probably coat my scalp with folligen and emu oil before treatment also.

I never heard of Brazilian Blowout and googled it - there is Brazilian Blowout Zero - NO formaldehyde. I found only one salon in my area that offers it....cost? $375.00 and up (includes maintenance products)! Yikes! Did you find it was worth it?
Picture of oskyz
Hi Chi Di,

Not for THAT price, yikes! Also, not sure if the BB zero would work. I've heard the 'healthier' alternatives don't stick. I'd wait for lots of reviews first. If I did it, I'd wear a gas mask, as I mentioned.

IF you have super thick hair, it's fantastic. Truly high sheen healthy looking hair, deserving of the hype. But flattening the cuticle gives the sheen, and compressing the cuticle makes the hair shaft thinner. e.g. Try a flat iron. If you like how thick your hair is after that, you would like the BB effect.

Plus it truly cuts drying and hair care time to minimal. Maybe 40% of the drying time. Even now rough drying my hair is enough. But needs a touch of something if I let it air dry (which I prefer if time).

Actually, it's been 4 months now and my hair looks good. I think it might be worth it just to buy their 'aftercare products' - shampoo and conditioner and see if they help on their own.

I would do it again in a heartbeat (if I had a gas mask) IF I had super thick hair instead of average hair. On the fence now...

I was told by a salon to do it 7-10 before an event - I guess the first week looks flat and bad for many people.