Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Men and Hair length Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I have read the comments by Dr. Pickart about how long hair, of one length, is healthiest for women's hair and how women used to have much longer, healthy hair through their late middle age with no problem.

Wouldn't this be true for men as well? (all men would be healthiest in hair growth with long hair?)
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Yes. Longer hair would be better on men also.
Thank you.

My hair is shoulder-length; it's always been longish; I am interested to let it grow.

I have not used detergent shampoos in years (I'm 27 now) and my father had very little hair loss; also longish hair; I am going to see how to keep my hair healthy by keeping it long, and one length.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Men should let their hair grow but there are often many social pressures in the way.
The current trend for shaved heads is kind of circular, as it is meant to hide (or embrace?) hair loss.

My cousin shaved his head repeatedly age 15-25 (permissive parents!) and by the time he was my age, he looked up and realized he would keep shaving, as the growth line for hair showed it to be receding. No other males in the family have done this, and most have very little hair loss (we all wear it longish). The current trend indeed will just lead to more pressure for short or shaved hair.

I'm a little alarmed about all the chest-waxing, too.... Smiler !
Dear Dr. Pickart (something to add):

Put some photos/paintings of long-haired men up on your site; we all need encouragement!

My female friends all got into long hair for men after seeing Lord of the Rings lol -- I can't understand why more men don't let their hair grow.

Probably sodium lauryl sulfate + a culture of obsessive cleanliness in the U.S. put the kibosh on male long hair here. Also I think any culture which is male-centric (not that great for women) tends to exaggerate differences between men and women, superficially. I get a lot of negative comments about my long hair for this reason; most people, male and female alike, don't really accept it in the U.S.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
I agree with you on the hair.

My daughter Francoise built our new website and I don't think she thought about this. We had a few men with long hair.

One problem is copyright laws on art, so we are usually stuck with paintings from before 1920.

If you can find good out-of-copyright paintings of men with long hair and send to us, we will put them in the website.
The Durer self-portraits are inspirational.

Or any Mesopotamian relief sculpture (these show males in profile with long, braided locks).
The Albrecht Durer self-portraits are in the public domain; you can find them along with the following on Wikimedia:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Altoviti.jpg and

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chigi.jpg

You can search using "long hair male" in the Wikimedia commons for similar images (it will come up as no results but then you/ll see some below). The Anthonis van Dyck has awesome, thick & healthy-looking hair.

Try Googling "Mesopotamian sculpture"--especially too "Dur Sharrukin: winged-bull figure" for the Sumerian sculptures. Very cool!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason7,

Picture of CatFish
Jason7,
Fantastic pictures! I really like the second one ...beautiful...or should I say handsome Wink

I just read this post out loud to my hubby--he likes his hair short-crew cut--I'm begging him to let it grow out just a little...fingers crossed... Big Grin

CatFish
Someone just showed me something on youtube: a user named "hairfreak" or "hairfreaky" (?)-- a male with REALLY long hair (it looks to be about 3.5 feet long)....
It's interesting that long hair is healthier. Early baldness runs in my boyfriends family, but he has quite long hair (well past his shoulders). He says he's getting the most of it while he can Laughing
I like the pictures as well and did take a peek at the You Tube link you posted and his hair isn't my cup of tea but to each his or her own. I like long/er hair on men IF it looks good on them.
Picture of Skin Biology
adfad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Um, the first one is by Raphael...

The last Durer one is a reference to Christ-imagery.

There are lots of images in art of men with long or longish hair. Thanks for considering putting them on this site! Maybe because the shaved-head thing has gone so far, the pendulum will start to swing back the other way.
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Jason7:

Thanks for your post Jason --- We were wanting to put in some great paintings of men with long hair.

The first one was just so nice. Thank you for posting that clarification.

You're welcome.

I have to say, seeing these on a site like this that has such good things to say about hair and skin is so nice.

The paintings you've already put up (of women) are great; what great images to put alongside your message and the products.

Kudos, and here's to seeing some images of men up here. It really would be welcome to have these interspersed throughout the site, along with the other great images you have. When people who are not won over re: long hair for men (or women) see this, it puts everything in a whole new light. What's not to like about any of these.... and it's healthy, too!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
We are stuck on copyrights which go about 90 years. So we look at paintings that are from 1920 or before.

Most old paintings have beautiful, barely clad women with long hair and beautiful skin. However, the men are posed in suits or military uniforms and swords.
You could do worse than paintings painted before 1920. (Have there been good paintings since?)

All the Christian imagery shows Christ with long hair. I'm sure there are men in those paintings who aren't wearing much distracting or military.

You're right about many of the others. It's a man's world when it comes to women in figurative paintings. Most "hairiness" in men in art comes from lots of facial hair. Anyway; great site; would be great to see images with men too, though that's not really right for this market. But your overall message is o good it would be intriguing to see the possibilities for men. Who knows....

(Image below: L. da Vinci's "John the Baptist")--

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason7,

Picture of Dr. Pickart
Some groups think a scan of a painting is a copyright but courts in the the USA have ruled that pressing the "Scan" button is not a creative act.