Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is Older Emu Oil Harmful? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Dear Dr. Pickart:

I have been using Hair Signals and Emu Oil. I massage the Hair Signals into my scalp first, and then massage in Emu Oil. I apply both to the front portion of my scalp.

I used to used Brylcreem to style my hair, but now I just take a small amount of Emu Oil and work it into my hair.

My question is:

I have a bottle of Emu Oil I purchased towards the end of last year. I have read that Emu Oil only lasts about 4 months (6 months if kept refrigerated). But, for Emu Oil that is past 6 months, is it still okay to use just for the purposes of a hair styling oil? Is older Emu Oil harmful in any way?

Thanks,

Chris
Picture of celiavalerie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I'm surprised you still WANT to use it. Emu Oil is generally considered "fine" as long as it is not rancid. It does, however, go quite noticeably rancid. If it smells badly/differently than it did on purchase I would toss it and replace. Both the emu oils from SB are a lot like food products. I imagine it isn't unsafe but it may not have an effect/make you smelly Wink(Especially important to refrigerate it if you have some hot summer days going on. Refrigerate all your SB products)
Picture of celiavalerie
Slight correction to my post: Should have made this more clear: it will not be dangerous to you but I highly recommend just kickin the bottle and grabbing a new one SmilerBetter safe than sorry/smelly.
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Chris73:

It probably is OK. You can smell the emu oil and decide if you still want to use it or not.

Dr. Pickart has said before that although we recommend to use the Emu Oil within 3-6 months (depending on how it's stored) but if kept cold, it could last longer - See: https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=309100695#309100695

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
I used to style my hair using products such as Brylcreem and Wildroot, but I now use Emu oil.

I have heard that Emu oil does not clog the pores. And, of course, Emu oil is very beneficial to the scalp and hair follicles. Therefore, does Emu oil make the best choice for hair grease? If men were using Emu oil back in the 40's and 50's instead of products like Brylcreem, would that have been much better for their hair and scalp?

Thanks,

Chris
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Chris73:

Yes, Emu Oil works as a great styling agent.

Most clients use it for the scalp, but some do use it as a light styling agent. Just be sure to apply it lightly. Depending on your hair texture and how you like to wear it, this may be the product for you.

As a styling agent it stays/holds well all day long and does not flake up.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of celiavalerie
I sometimes add emu oil S for hair to my morning ritual for styling. But that's in LIGHT amounts. A lot of people do find emu oil a little greasy for AM skin or hair use. It all depends on the amount for me but I find it easier at night. Rub it in!

Edit: Also, I forget who it was but credit should go to the person who recommended adding emu oil-S for hair to their Folligen Conditioner in the shower. I do this as well. Saves the grease a bit and seems to have a very good impact. Once you adjust to how much emu oil is right for you, greasiness should be a non-issue. Trial and error seem to help. Of course, if you are worried about facial grease look into Sebum Be Gone (I've only ordered one sample and it's lasting me forever).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: celiavalerie,