Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  Products  Hop To Forums  Hair    weaning off Minoxidil and just using Hair Signals/Emu Oil

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
weaning off Minoxidil and just using Hair Signals/Emu Oil Login/Join

Picture of angeleyes
posted   Report This Post  
Hi everyone,

40 year-old female, I've been dealing with hair loss triggered by seb derm for 7 years now. I was using Dr. Lee's PPG-free minox 5% applied once at night, as part of my regimen until Dr. Lee's store was shut down. After my PPG-free minox stash ran out I was using the traditional 5% minox formulation but then I got a huge SD flareup with a major shed and the minox was further irritating my scalp.

I started using Hair Signals cream with emu oil on top every second night for the last 2 weeks; my scalp finally feels normal again and is no longer itchy or crusty. I upped the Emu oil applications to nightly. I've been putting on Minox at the bottom of the stack a couple of nights a week but when I do it feels itchy again. I would like to get off the Minox completely and just use Hair Signals and Emu oil but I'm worried about the massive shed; my hair in the frontal middle region (where I get the worst SD flare-ups) is pretty see-through thanks to the last SD shed Frowner I part it on the side and dust on some Toppik which helps hide it a little. Right now I am not shedding too badly.

Current regimen:
Emu Oil every night
Hair Signals every second night
Yasmin BCP
Nizoral 2% shampoo 3X/week
Prescription Clobetasol lotion for really bad flares (it's a steroid so I only use it when I'm in a lot of pain)
Vitamin D3
Aphogee Hair vitamin supplement
Fish oil
Minoxidil 5% - ????

If I wean off of Minox gradually and keep using Hair Signals/Emu Oil would I be able to avoid a Minox-related shed? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

angel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You should keep improving.
Picture of angeleyes
Thank you for the feedback. I'ts been a month and a half since I stopped the Minoxidil; I have not experienced a 'dread shed' yet. I have been assiduous with the Folligen/Hair Signals applications; the tiny fine hairs that were already growing from the Minoxidil have thickened into nice terminal hairs and are now 2-3 inches long. My scalp feels good, hair is growing strong and yesterday when I peered at the thinnest spots in front I could see some tiny hairs looking like they're starting to grow in. I no longer feel the need to use Toppik which is nice. I will continue to check in periodically and update on my progress.

<derek>
posted   Report This Post  
I'm also wondering about stopping Minoxidil and using just finasteride / folligen / hair signals. The dark under-eye circles / eye bags have been bothering me for a while, despite using fairly strong copper peptides on my face. It seems that Minoxidil triggers this for a fair number of people.

I wonder if there are any males on the forum who have stopped Minoxidil who could share any experiences?
I just stopped using Minoxidil after 15 years. I am on Propecia and use Nizoral shampoo. I have justed added Folligen for Blondes. Will let you know how I do. Have my fingers crossed.
Picture of angeleyes
Hi all,
Well I think I did finally get a dread shed from stopping the minox, my hair in front is so thin you can see through it, I had to move my part further over to the side of my head to get enough coverage. I am using Folligen spray or Hair Signals cream every night on most nights. I am not seeing new regrowth on the areas affected by hair loss. The areas not affected have nice sturdy new hairs growing. I'm not sure what to do next, go back on minox or wait another couple of months. I can't find any tiny hairs anymore, I guess they fell out too. I'm discouraged Frowner
Picture of Dr. Pickart
This is our general advice on hair care for women.

Many hair products for women cause long term damage. Many hair experts think that women's hair was healthier 100 years ago. Old photographs
often show women in the 60s with hair down to their shoulders or their waist.

Skin Rejuvenating Copper Peptides often improve scalp and hair health.

This may help.

1.If your scalp is irritated, then to calm your scalp and help hair health, the best would be to use the Emu Oil for Hair on your scalp in the morning and Folligen Lotion at night in denser hair areas and Folligen Cream on hairlines. Start with a very light amount of each. You do not need to wash it out in the morning.

2. If there is no irritation, then use Folligen Solution on your scalp - a small amount. Let it dry a little, then apply a light amount of Emu Oil-S for Hair. You do not need to wash it out in the morning.

3. If you have very blonde hair, then use Folligen for Blondes. This is a new lotion based on tin-peptides but most reports are very positive.

4. Our new Hair Signals Cream and Serum have a variety of DHT blockers and work better for some clients.

5. Also take daily supplements of MSM - 2 to 4 grams - and 1 gram each of flaxseed oil and borage oil.

6. Always use a minimum of shampoo and conditioner. Folligen Shampoo and Folligen Conditioner are very mild shampoos that help give a thicker appearance and keep more moisture on the hair shafts.

7. Keep heat off your head - blow dryers can boil follicles. Hot oil treatments also damage hair follicles.

8. Stress can cause hair loss. Blood cortisol levels are raised and this inhibits skin rejuvenation. Often temporarily taking a daily supplement of 75 to 100 mgs of DHEA for a few months will block the damaging actions of cortisol.

9. Tight bindings, buns, braids, and so on, can cause hair loss. Keep your hair loose and fluffy.

10. Sometimes new hair growth can push out older hair shafts and there may be a brief period of hair shedding as the new hair shafts push out the old dormant hair shafts. Old, non-growing hair is held in the hair follicle for about four months before falling out.

Picture of angeleyes
Thank you Dr. Pickart; this is helpful. I decided to add back the minoxidil 5% once at night in the hopes of bringing back some of the recently lost hair. I stack the minoxidil underneath my Hair Signals cream. I have not observed any miniaturized hairs in the past months so the Hair Signals cream must be working on that level. I have added the supplements to my diet and will report back on my progress.