Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Amount of conditioner Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted   Report This Post  
I read several times that it is recommended to use the smallest amount possible of both shampoo and conditioner.

While I have no problems using only a very tiny amount of shampoo, if I use just a little conditioner, my hair gets extremely tangled and spongy.

I wash my hair about twice a week, have not use hair driers for about 10 years and I have never had any chemical treatment of any type on my hair.

So I was wondering, is it really bad to use a lot of conditioner? (and if so, why is that bad? - assuming it is properly washed away)

I even thought about mixing a little conditioner with a carrier oil such as squalane to use less conditioner, but then I think my hair would be too oily and I would have to wash it a lot more frequently.

Thanks for any opinion!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rossana,

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of stoney
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Rossana,

You need to use enough conditioner to detangle your mop...LOL...but I think you already knew that.

Sometimes it takes just a bit of conditioner to detangle my fine hair, other times I need to reapply.

Some Cleansing Conditioners like Wen products actually have you applying more - the more the better. Also the longer you leave it on, the better too. The conditioner actually cleanses the hair & conditions all in one (no other shampoo) but it is formulated to NOT leave your hair greasy like when you over apply a reg conditioner.

I actually like the way a "cleansing condioner" leaves my hair looking & feeling. But the down side is that it causes breakouts around my hairline & on the backoff my neck... Red Face...so once again, while the rest of the crowd has no problems & just end up with "bouncy, healthy, shiny hair"... I just avoid it.
Picture of Rossana
Thank you Stoney.

The reason why I asked that, was that for the past 8 months or so I have been experiencing more hair shedding than every before. So I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

For my entire life I have had very short hair (no longer than about 12 inches). But in the past two years I have not cut it and now it is about 20 inches. I used to shed very very little except in the Summer, but this year I have been shedding so much also in all other seasons.
I do not see a difference in the hair coverage yet but if it goes on this way I am afraid that will eventually show.

I use Folligen Spray about twice a week, other weeks I use Folligen For Blondes.
I am 29 and I have not changed anything in my lifestyle, diet, supplementation .
So I had thought the cause of this may be too much conditioner but now I doubt it is that.

I will try if Hair Signals and Emu for Hair help... will place an order for those products.

Thanks again Stoney!

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
I believe that what you are noticing has more to do with the style of hair you are presently wearing than anything else.

I recently had a conversation w/ my hair stylist about hair shedding (having noticed it more on occasion on me). He mentioned that when the hair is all one length (as compared to a layered cut) that the hair tends to come out all at once in the shower when I run my fingers thru my hair trying to detangle it - rather than getting caught in the hair brush like a layered look would do. My hair will go through stages of shedding where it will shed quite a bit one or two days and then not much for a while and then shed again for a few more days. Your short hairstyle probably also shed hair more readily than the longer hair does and when the longer hair sheds - it comes in pairs (or groupings)

Also, our hair grows in cycles, so it should lose it in cycles too. It can look like you're losing more hair because it's coming out in larger amts at the same time, but that's not what's actually happening.
Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by foxe:
I believe that what you are noticing has more to do with the style of hair you are presently wearing than anything else.

That's interesting Foxe regarding the different lengths (layering) and hair shedding. Hair does go through natural regular shedding periods especially with seasonal changes...I have always noticed it going into Spring & Fall with rapid hair growth following.

Rossana, I always comb my conditioner through my hair before rinsing. This cuts down on breakage.
Picture of SkinBioTeam
quote:
The reason why I asked that, was that for the past 8 months or so I have been experiencing more hair shedding than every before. So I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

For more information on The Structure of Hair you will find this link helpful. It is also very good to supplement your diet and eat healthy. I know that you do that from your previous posts Rossana.

Please let us know how you do with the Hair Signals and the Emu Oil S for Hair .

Best Wishes,
~The SkinBio Team

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Hi foxe and rossana,
I am trying to grow back some hair near my temples that I lost due to stress this past year. My hair is my "project" for this spring/summer.
I bought some folligen spray and started using it a few times a week in that area, and using regular folligen cream a few times a week on that area and the hairline. I also just got some Folligen for Blondes that I plan to alternate weeks with the regular folligen.
Can someone give me suggestions on how best to use the hair signals lotion and cream samples I just received into this routine? Should I alternate some of the regular Folligen with the hair signals?
Thanks for any help anyone or the SB team can provide...
lalique
PS I also use 1000 mg MSM and 1000 mg C daily. Should I add more?
Picture of SkinBioTeam
Good Morning Lalique,

This link will help you understand why Dr. Pickart recommends supplementing your diet with specific things and what supplements he recommends:

He recommends 2 - 4 grams of MSM for this reason:

"MSM supplies available sulfur to the skin. This is always in short supply in the body. The water-holding proteins and sugars contain significant sulfur.

MSM is also very safe and probably as much as 100 grams daily is safe in humans. But I only recommend 1 -2 grams daily. It has been used for decades to improve the health and hair of race horses.

Daily supplements of 1 gram vitamin C, 1 gram MSM, and 1 gram each of flaxseed oil, borage oil, or primrose oil help skin rebuilding".

Hopefully this helps you to understand which supplements you may want to use and how much is needed. 1 gram is equal to 1000 milligrams. I know that I am currently taking 1000 milligrams of both MSM and Vitamin C.

This is a post on the forum by one of our clients. She is giving her review of how Folligen Spray and how it worked for her: https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=313105596#313105596

If you have both the Folligen and Hair Signals Cream/ Solution, you can alternate them. The main difference between the 2 products is the addition of "tea extracts" in the Hair Signals . It acts as a DHT blocker.

You can mix the Hair Signals Solution with the Folligen Spray if that is easier for you. If you use a cream and a spray together, you want to apply the spay 1st and then the cream. It is best to alternate the regular Folligen products with the Folligen for Blondes. Many of our clients have had good success doing this. Perhaps alternating days, instead of weeks.

Best Wishes
~The SkinBio Team

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by Rossana:
I read several times that it is recommended to use the smallest amount possible of both shampoo and conditioner.

While I have no problems using only a very tiny amount of shampoo, if I use just a little conditioner, my hair gets extremely tangled and spongy.

I wash my hair about twice a week, have not use hair driers for about 10 years and I have never had any chemical treatment of any type on my hair.

So I was wondering, is it really bad to use a lot of conditioner? (and if so, why is that bad? - assuming it is properly washed away)

I even thought about mixing a little conditioner with a carrier oil such as squalane to use less conditioner, but then I think my hair would be too oily and I would have to wash it a lot more frequently.

Thanks for any opinion!

The soap companies always tell clients to use the products liberally and then do it a second time. This is just to sell more product.

Many hair experts think that women's hair was healthier 100 years ago. Old photographs often show women in the 60s with hair down to their shoulders or their waist.

Use the amount of conditioner that works for you, but more companies overstate the need for products.