New
Find
Notify
Tools
Safer sun protection product Login/Join

Picture of SAGE262
posted   Report This Post  
Hi Everyone:

Has anyone considered Avalon Organics Baby SPF 15?
I think it may be the safest sunblock I have found so far and even safer than Avalon's adult sun protection containing the Active Ingredients of 7.5% octinoxate, 6.0% oxybenzone and hyaluronic acid--NO TITANIUM DIOXIDE OR ZINC OXIDE!?!? It's more of a Vit C moisturizer with SPF ingredients I would stay away from.

Because of the lower SPF 15 in Avalon Baby, I will just have to reapply it more often, and it should be sufficient over Day Cover for added protection. Also, due to the lower SPF, I am assuming there's a slighter pasty appearance resulting from the titanium dioxide. I'm hoping there are none or few questionable ingredients.

Active Ingredients
Titanium dioxide 7.0% (Natural Mineral Sunscreen)

Ingredients
Purified water, octyl palmitate (palm emollient), castor oil phosphate, triethoxycaprylysilane (emulsifer), glyceryl stearate (vegetable emollient), peg-100 stearate (emulsifer), isopropyl palmitate (palm emollient), cetearyl alcohol (coconut emollient), vegetable glycerin, phenoxyethanol (natural preservative), benzyl alcohol and potassium sorbate (natural preservative system), vitamin E, stearic acid (vegetable emollient), organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice (1), organic sunflower and jojoba seed oils (1), organic green tea leaf, chamomile flower, calendula flower and ginkgo biloba leaf extracts (1), vitamin B5, allantoin (comfrey root conditioner), oat kernel flour, organic echinacea leaf and yarrow extracts (1), polysorbate 60 (emulisfier), potassium cetyl phosphate (vegetable emulsifier), cetyl phosphate (vegetable emulsifer) and xanthan gum.
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear SAGE262:

We encourage clients to look for products with un-micronized titanium dioxide.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of SAGE262
Oh! I hadn't come across the sunscreen info page as of yet. There is so much to read on this website but I find myself mostly checking out the forums. I am realizing more and more that there is always one problem or another with any sunblock/sunscreen product. I'm becoming much more educated these days since joining Skin Biology forum. I never thought I would find myself so interested in a chat forum as I am with this one! Thank you
Picture of stoney
Received my Avalon Baby SPF 15.

It is pretty thick & white, so I do not think I would put this on my face. But will definitely use it on my neck & decollete.

The Clarins UV Plus is much thinner & would consider using it on my face if needed. It is 8.1% Titanium Dioxide based.
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear stoney:

Thank you for the feedback, we've had clients ask about that product.

How did you find the Clarins UV Plus? It is pretty thin? Do you feel (or does it say that) it is micronized?

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of SAGE262
Obviously not Stoney here but, it has 100% micronized, microdispersed minerals Frowner
Picture of Dr. Pickart
We only recommend pure, non-micronized minerals.

We do not recommend micronized minerals as they can slip into the skin. The good skin protection products will have a pasty look when on the skin.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
This looks good if the minerals are not micronized and coated with silicones or plastics.

The word "natural" is freely used by advertising agencies but has little meaning. Poison Ivy is natural but do get it on your skin.

The truly natural only material that was on our ancestor's skin was dirt. Some sunscreens actually use clay.

Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by SAGE262:
Obviously not Stoney here but, it has 100% micronized, microdispersed minerals Frowner

Thanks Sage Smiler, I only got a sample size & it says nothing about the TiO2 being micronized?... Confused?... But that would not surprise me given the consistency & the high SFP. It seems that is does slip into the skin. In the trash it goes!

The Baby Avalon is definitely not micronized, but thick, white & classic ghostly-looking on the skin. But I will use this on my neck area over DayCover when working in my garden & continue using DayCover on my face each day & Copper Sun on my body. May buy some powdered TiO2 to add when wanting more protection.

End of story for me...
Picture of Watermelon
The mineral makeup I've started using contains non-micronized minerals in some products and coated micronized minerals in others. I was under the impression that coated micronized minerals were safe, but is that not the case? Frowner
Watermelon,
They are not safe. Avoid coated or un-coated micronized minerals.

Picture of Skin Biology
There some interesting information on our website that mentions how 'the entire approach to suntanning and sun protection is in a state of change. A better approach may be the combination of a skin repair creams plus ultraviolet reflectors'.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Picture of Watermelon
Well that's good to know. I think I'll contact the company to see whether the specific makeup products I'm using have micronized minerals or not.

I have two sunscreens sitting on my shelf here, but I suppose I'll have to contact their manufacturers as well, since the containers don't specify micronized or non-micronized. The second one I had to pick up yesterday last-minute due to a surprise outing.

Nature's Gate Mineral Sportblock, SPF 20
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 8%, Zinc Oxide 2%
Inactive ingredients: Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Diisopropyl Adipate, CarthamusTinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Propylheptyl Caprylate,StearicAcid, VP/eicosene Copolymer, Cetearyl Wheat Bran Glycosides, Cetearyl Alcohol, Gyceryl Stearyl Alcohol, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Seaweed) Extract, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Seed Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, MimosaTenuiflora Bark Extract, Viola Tricolor (Wild Pansy) Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Allantoin, Dimethicone, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Undecylenate

Aveeno Active Naturals Natural Protection Mineral Block Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.3%), Zinc Oxide (3%)
Inactive Ingredients: Water, C 12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Trisiloxane, Dimethicone, PEG 8, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Dimethylimidazolidinone Rice Starch, Polyamide 5, Butylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Benzyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Alcohol, Dipropylene Glycol Dibenzoate, Caprylyl Glycol, PPG 15 Stearyl Ether Benzoate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Behenyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum , Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Citric Acid, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Arachidyl Glucoside, Chlorphenesin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer, Isohexadecane, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (Licorice Root), Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Sodium Citrate, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Polysorbate 60, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (Oat)

Anyone have any experience with or information on the safety of these two products? Confused?
Picture of stoney
Update on my Baby Avalon...

I am upgrading this from just being able to use on my neck to allover my face on top of DayCover when I need more protection. While it is thick & white, I found it is not at all greasy or tacky feeling which is what I was expecting. Easier than trying to add powdered Titanium Dioxide to my products.

So, a big thumbs up for me!... Thumbs UP!

Have you tried yours yet, Sage?
Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by Watermelon:
Anyone have any experience with or information on the safety of these two products? Confused?

Haven't tried either, but it is worth contacting the manufaturer to find out if the minerals are micronized.

If it is a thin product, then it is more than likely micronized. Maybe someone else has used that would know? The manufacturers are sometimes good at hiding this fact.
Picture of Skin Biology
quote:
Originally posted by stoney:

While it is thick & white, I found it is not at all greasy or tacky feeling which is what I was expecting. Easier than trying to add powdered Titanium Dioxide to my products.

Dear stoney:

Thanks for the update - Interesting how the consistency actually works on well facial skin.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of SAGE262
quote:
Originally posted by stoney:

I am upgrading this from just being able to use on my neck to allover my face on top of DayCover when I need more protection. While it is thick & white, I found it is not at all greasy or tacky feeling which is what I was expecting. Easier than trying to add powdered Titanium Dioxide to my products.

Have you tried yours yet, Sage?

Hi Stoney:
I have not received it yetFrowner Amazon tells me that the seller has not provided them details about when it will ship and that I should contact the seller myself. Bummer! I feel like canceling if I can because I found out that my grocery store carries it for about the same price.
Picture of SAGE262
One more that claims to protect against the complete UVA/UVB spectrum naturally--SPF 25, $19.00

I question the iron oxides though.

Kid Safe Screen, SPF 25

For the whole body and the whole family. Protects against the complete UVA/UVB spectrum, naturally, safely and effectively.

* Provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection with a unique formulation of non-nano zinc oxide
* Made with 16 intelligent ingredients
* Received ***** Boots Rating (highest rating possible) for UVA protection
* Tested by a third party laboratory for photodegradation and found to be photostable
* Safe and gentle, you can even use it around the eyes
* Absorbs into the skin without leaving a greasy or ghostly white film
* Ideal for beach and sports, for the whole body and the whole family
* Easy application pump

2.7oz /81ml

No harmful chemicals, nanoparticles, parabens, petroleum products, fillers, waxes or fragrances.

100% Vegan

Active ingredient: 20% non-nano zinc oxide

Ingredients: Camellia sinensis (green and white tea), non-nano zinc oxide, capric/capryllic triglycerides (fractionated coconut oil), Persea americana (avocado oil), Galactoarabinan, Tocopherol (vitamin E), Mangifera indica (mango butter), potassium sorbate, vegetable glycerin, xantham gum, allantoin, Polyaminopropyl biguanide (Cosmocil CQ), glycine soja lecithin, Rosemarinus officinalis (rosemary oleoresin), Cananga odorata (ylang ylang) essential oil, iron oxides

http://mvorganics.com/_product...afe_Screen%2c_SPF_25
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear SAGE262:

Thanks for posting.

Dr. Pickart will probably post his thoughts, but he has stated before that "there is some concern that there has been little safety testing of iron oxides but in general they look safe."

See: https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...531031506#9531031506
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=146102335#146102335
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=294104776#294104776

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology