Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How Much Damage from Micronized Minerals? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I just received an order of what I thought sounded like the ideal chemical free sunscreen. (I'd been using Alba Mineral but the lavender was causing me issues.) The product I just received has no scent and was advertised as not absorbing into the skin. I tried it and it seemed to just vanish into the skin -- that made me suspicious. I called the distributor and they verified the product is micronized but insist the ingredients are not absorbed into the body. The product sure kept my skin from burning yet allows some tanning and feels so comfortable -- no zits like the usual non-micronized causes. If I wash it off well at night, is there any issues with CP compatibility? Here are the ingredients:
Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide; Water;Cyclopentasiloxane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Nicinimide, Panthenol, Aluminum Starch Octenylysuddinate; PEG/PPG-1818Dimethcone, Dimothicone, Dimethiconol, DL Alpha Tocopherol, Allumina PEG10 Dimethicone Methicone Polyacrlylamide C13-14 Isoparrafin, Laureth 7, Phenoxyethonaol, Caprylyl Glycol.
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear Annie:

There it states under the subheading "Avoid Micronized or Siliconized Physical Sunscreens.

Prof. Nicholas Lowe (Dermatology, UCLA) has reported that micronized or encapsulated physical sunblockers such as titanium dioxide penetrate into the skin while pure titanium dioxide remains on the skin's surface - where you really want it to stay.

Micronized minerals are usually used as 'micronized' particles in the size range of 20-50 microns. But these particles are small in comparison with the wavelength of the ultraviolet and visible light and are virtually invisible and do not effectively scatter of reflect light. Pure, non-micronized, and often pasty, minerals are better reflectors of ultraviolet light."

The article continues to outline the potential issues with prolonged use of micronized sunscreens.

The only issue with compatibility with copper peptides would possibly be zinc oxide products - Dr. Pickart says: "The problem with zinc oxide is that skin acids can cause the zinc oxide to release zinc ions. These can interfere with the actions of the copper ions."

So when looking for a good sunscreen, you may want to search out one that uses un-micronized titanium dioxide.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
The problem is that One Never Knows exactly what is in a product.

But, it is very difficult to make any safe and transparent sun blocker.
I wonder if non nano is equivalent to non micronized? Or non nano could be either micronized OR non micronized. I found most brands only say non nano and very rare non micronized...
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by zoeFF:
I wonder if non nano is equivalent to non micronized? Or non nano could be either micronized OR non micronized. I found most brands only say non nano and very rare non micronized...

None nano could still be micronized but somewhat larger and still enter the skin.
Picture of SAGE262
Would a micronized titanium dioxide POWDER sunscreen be safe since it is brushed on and not rubbed into the skin as with a cream or lotion? It has an SPF of 30.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of SAGE262
Dr. Pickart or Skin Bio?? The powdered sunscreen I'm speaking of is from Bare Escentials. It is not their mineral makeup with an SPF in it, but just a tinted powder sunscreen. Thanks
Picture of Dr. Pickart
I don't know what they use in their products. The powder could be composed relatively large particles.

The problem is with micronized and coated minerals that slip into the skin. If a mineral powder is translucent, that is, it lets light through and does not look somewhat pasty, then it is best to avoid it.