Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Need more sunscreen protection Login/Join

Picture of Di
posted   Report This Post  
I feel I need more sunscreen protection than I would get with Day Cover because I sun burn on my face in the car even with a spf 30 mineral sunscreen on from the reflection off the dash board, that's how sensitive I am now since using 10% lactic acid once every two weeks. So this summer I'm trying a drugstore retinol cream instead of other acids, hoping I wont be as sensitive. How are the rest of you that don't use a sunscreen and use acids on your face doing? What are you using for a sunscreen? Do you burn easily now? I would love to not use a sunscreen and only use Day Cover, but I know I would get burnt in only a few minutes now with out a sunscreen. I have to wear a zinc and titanium sunscreen spf 30 everyday now and I use an spf 58 zinc and titanium sunscreen if I plan on a long drive. I'm sure a titanium only non-micronized sunscreen would be too whitening to use daily. So I just don't know what to do now Confused?

Di
Picture of Rossana
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You could just add titanium dioxide (which is a very cheap fine white powder) to the lotion you are currently using. Just mix them together, the powder blends pretty easily. Something around 10% titanium would be a good protection

PS Never use Zinc along with CPs, as zinc and copper compete for the cells receptors and so by using the Zinc Oxide lotion you will make the CPs worthless

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of Di
Hi Rossana,
Thank you for the help. Where do you buy titanium dioxide power? I guess I could add some to my day cover for days I don't get out of the house much. Do you put it in your Day Cover?
I only use Cp serum or P&R rentinol cream at night after I wash off the zinc sunscreen. I sure hope the cps are working. I guess if I only use my higher protection sunscreen with zinc when I plan on being in the car or outside would be okay. Now I'm worried that my cps arn't working right. Nervous after all these years of using zinc sunscreen. I just burn so easy now since using acids. Do you burn easily too?

Thank you Smiler
Picture of Rossana
Well I dont think Zinc especially in big quantities is the optimal thing to use with CPs.

You can buy Titanium Dioxide in a variety of stores but I will send you a private message with the link where I got mine.

Personally i do not use any sunscreen normally because I dont expose to the sun but I use Titanium Dioxide mixed in a lotion when I do sports outdoor.

Honestly I cannot say exactly how the protection works because I would not burn anyway unless I spend the entire day under the sun.. But thats something to avoid always anyway.. The thing is that I have Mediterranean color and I probably burnt like a couple of times in the entire life (after being in the sun for many hours with no protection). So I am not able to evaluate well on myself how the Titanium works but I know for sure its important to have it because even if you do not burn skin damage and aging occurs.

Titanium Dioxide is the only one that works well with CPs and is not a chemical sunscreen.

Picture of Di
Your very lucky to have such nice skin that doesn't burn easily. Thank you for the help on the titanium dioxide, Rossana. Smiler

Di
Picture of Rossana
quote:
Originally posted by Di:
Your very lucky to have such nice skin that doesn't burn easily

It is convenient, in fact I have a sister that has a completely different skin (because my mother is very pale while my father is dark) and I remember the hell she was going through when we would go to the beach.
However having a skin that tans easily makes you very often abuse the sun, and then you'll pay the damages later in life.

I hugely abused the sun when I was a teenager. I was literally addicted to the sun, first and foremost for the pleasure of the warmth on the skin. I would spent like 5 hours in full sun, napping, swimming, reading, studying.. anything. And with no protection whatsoever, in bikini with no hats no sunglasses, nothing to shield the sun. What a total fool I was!! My skin gets a really nice bronze color immediately so that was teasing my vanity, which would add up to the overall addiction. I was lucky that at that time I didnt live in a place, like now, where there's always sunshine year round, otherwise by now I would have some really bad sun damage!

Anyway I do not have bad sun damage, slight uneven color on the arms but nothing really evident (for now at least) but I have absolutely stopped those insane habits and never stay in the sun for too long, typically just half an hour, if anything more than that I put loads of titanium sunscreen.

Burning easily. even if very annoying, at least increases the awareness in the sneaky danger or excessive sun..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rossana,

Di if you are actually burning you are causing skin damage. Are you in California where it is warm all year or Seasonal? If Seasonal I would just consider stopping all Acids, avoid Retinol and exfoliation through the Summer. The skin might look a little nappy over the Summer but it beats damaging the skin.

As Rossana pointed out the sensitivity isn't all bad. My wife is prone to burning and has pretty much avoided Sun Bathing and has beautiful Skin at age 45 ever before using Skin Biology.

At all cost protect the skin.

BW MaxxC
Picture of Di
Rossana,
I was exactly the same way when I was young. I would lay out in the sun forever in the summer to get a tan I would get a little burn at first but then I would get a really nice golden tan. I used baby oil only never a tanning lotion or any protection either. Now I'm probably paying for it. My skin could be alot worse I'm sure from so much tanning, thank goodness I started using sunscreens when I was 25 or so, now I'm 56. Your just so lucky your using Skin Biology, I'm sure that will take care of any harm you might have from all your fun in the summer sun. Smiler

MaxxC,
I live were we get hot summers and cooler winters, I never just lay out in the sun to get a tan or anything like that anymore, I avoid the sun now and wear a hat in the sun and wear sunscreen everyday. I just need a good titanium sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB, because I do go in and out of the house, take the dog for walks and drive to work. Last summer I was on a 2 hour road trip and burnt just by sitting in the car within and hour I could feel my skin was burning and it was slightly pink and that was with an spf of 30 on, I guess it was the reflection from the sun because I was not directly in the sun at all. I'm sure it was because I was using a 10% lactic acid every 2 weeks, because that has never happened before even when I was using Green Cream High Retinol. You are right, I think I will stop using exfoliants for the summer,I do have this problem with very dry rough feeling cheeks so hopfully I can live with that for the summer Laughing

Okay then thank you both for all your help. I'm really loving the Protect and Restore high retinol. I guess that's okay to use durning the summer at night.....right.

Thank you Waving
Di

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,
Picture of Rossana
quote:
Originally posted by MaxxC:
My wife is prone to burning and has pretty much avoided Sun Bathing and has beautiful Skin at age 45

Yeah thats really the point.
In Italy, where many people have skin that tans very easily like mine, you can see some that are just in their 30s or 40s that have absolutely horrible skin. Yet many still go on tanning so so heavily even in the winter with tanning beds that you could barely tell they are caucasian. I noticed guys in Italy are even more vain from this point of view, they go craaaazy with tanning.

Years ago I was living in Florida and went back to Italy to visit my family. A guy there, that I knew, told me "What?! You live in Florida and you are that little tanned? I expected to see you a lot more tanned!"... What a fool... hot sun means to some people mindless tanning, get as much as you can, can't get enough... then when the easy youth years are over go crazy to try to fix the damage!

I'm probably very lucky was the same way but spent sun up to sundown at the golf course in my teens and almost as much time on my days off in my 20's. I developed a permanent tan that lasted year round. No real skin damage or age spots though. Think the Oily Skin was what prevented the damage.

This might sound strange but two things really high lighted how much damage the sun can do.

I had a Classic Muscle Car repainted and told them to paint the trunk to match. They said they never had to paint the trunk because it never saw the sun and would match the new paint perfectly.

Second one I remember, was back when I had a paper route. The trucks would drop off the bundles of papers at the corner. If you got them right away they were white. Wait and hour or two to pick them up in the Summer and they had turned yellow and start to crinkle.

Rossana. Sometimes while on Vacation I'll see some very tanned European Men in their 40's and 50's wearing Speedo's. Dear God they actually think they look good Smiler

Maxx
Di the P&R with High Retinol is great for Dry skin. The Retinol in the P&R is actually Retinyl Palmitate so you should be just fine. I'm planning on using it for post tanning while on vacation.

BW Maxx
Picture of Rossana
quote:
Originally posted by MaxxC:
Rossana. Sometimes while on Vacation I'll see some very tanned European Men in their 40's and 50's wearing Speedo's. Dear God they actually think they look good Smiler

Hahahahaha I really had to laugh reading this LOLLL Yeah arent they hilarious... There are tons of them especially in the South of Europe!
When I was living in Italy it would look fairly normal to me (simply because there are so many of them in Italian beaches) but now that I have been living in USA for some years I realize that they do look so funny!!

One time I'll never forget. A couple, probably from South America, walked by us on the Beach. The Woman in Bikini and Man in Speedo's both well into their 60's.

My wife rolled her eyes, groaned and pretended to shiver. I busted out laughing, she busts out laughing. The couple is looking at us trying to figure out what we are laughing at, which of course makes us laugh that much harder.

Maxx
Picture of Rossana
hahaha Big Grin Yeah I'm sure they never actually figured why you'd be laughing, nothing was looking weird to their eyes Roll Eyes

Picture of stoney
I had fun reading this. I am equally as guilty of basking in the sun in my former wonder days... Cool...

I did live at the beach for 20 yrs, but worked most of the time with my business. So I never really abused it too badly. But always had a golden glow since the bikini went on just about everyday for an hr or so (if I was lucky) to water my flowers & nap in the sun.

Winters were spent in the tropics where I'm sure I received more than my fair share of sun. But I also OD'd on Carrot Juice/ Mangoes/ Papayas, etc...and oh ya, beer... Big Grin... My skin on my body is in relatively good shape considering my years spent in the sun.

I am sure it is from my long-time healthy diet. Health through nutrition has been my hobby since I was 20. It it totally 2nd nature to me & believe I found my own fountain of youth by taking on good eating habits early on... always growing most of my own veggies.

The beer is now mostly red wine, but I dilute it with water & a splash of lemon juice & I'm a happy camper! And DayCover has been the saviour for my face along with SB Tanning Lotion. I personally have never been afraid of the sun but have always been pretty good at finding balances.

LOL to the speedo guys...seen far too many in my day! Laughing
quote:
Mangoes

I usually buy a Mango at least once per month and have been since before I was married. My kids love them and my wife has refused to touch them because they smell like "perfume". After 25 years she finally tried one and loved it.

All that Tropical fruit reminded me of a Key Lime Pie Story. My wife when we were dating worked at a upscale coffee shop at a Marriott. Two very well dressed Women ordered Key Lime Pie. One of the Women was bragging to the other about how she could tell the difference between lime pie and "Real Key lime Pie".

She asked my wife where they got "real Key Limes" in the Winter. My wife asked the Chief. She then went and told the women that the Chief said it was just Lime Juice out of a bottle that you could get at any grocery store. The Woman was livid and stiffed my wife on the tip. Smiler

Wow, two pie stories, Gooseberry now Key Lime. Maybe I'll write a book about Pie Stories or start a forum where people can share stories about Pie.

Maxx
Sunscreen protection seems a major concern for a lot of people who use SB products, so lets hope that SB team may produce a product that protects longer than daycover, and is non oily . I use daycover and a sunscreen on top for added protection. It would be good to use just one product. ::Smiler