Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Day Cover, Copper Sun & UVA Login/Join

Picture of Di
posted   Report This Post  
After reading about all the damage that micronized mineral sunscreens can cause to the skin It really upsets me since I've been using them for about 10 years or more not to mention all the chemical ones I used before that. I know Dr.Pickart has always said it's damaging but I used it anyway, so now I'm finally rethinking my sun protection.

I'm just wondering if using Day Cover or Copper Sun on facial skin is enough protection from UVA. I don't spend much time in the sun so I'm not worried about the burning UVB rays, too much. If I knew I was going to spend that much time in the sun I would wear a sunscreen for sure and a hat.

I'm mostly concerned about the aging of my skin from daily UVA because I do get dark spots if I'm not protected and light is all around me all the time.

I hope my face doesn't start looking like my arms since I hardly ever used sunscreen on them.

Plus since I also use Lactic Power 10 a couple of times a week my skin will probably burn easily now anyway. Nervous

How do I protect my skin from UVA damage?? Nervous

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,
Picture of stoney
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi Di,

Micronized mineral blocks (both nano & non-nano) & chemical SS should be avoided for health reasons.

Stick with pure non-micronized titanium dioxide, like what is found in Day Cover & Copper Sun. UVB rays are the ones that cause the skin to burn. Pure zinc oxide will give both UVA & UVB protection but the zinc is not compatible with CPs – the answer is to just use your CPs at night.

To get UVA protection (not given with pure titanium dioxide) it is best to take it internally through anti-oxidant rich food - in particular caretenoids to protect against UVA damage. I supplement (among a whole slew of other things) with Astaxanthin which is a concentrated caretenoid found in red algae & a powerful anti-oxidant. It is a daily part of my anti-aging arsenal.

So protect your skin topically from burning by using pure non-micronized physical blockers to deal with the burning UVB rays. Take your UVA protection internally.

It is a simple concept, but many have a hard time wrapping their head around the idea since it has been drummed into our heads that topical lotions need to contain both.

Picture of Di
Hi Stoney,

I understand what your saying about sunscreens.
I'm sure what you put inside shows on the outside. I'll look into the supplement. Another one to add to all of mine too. Laughing

Thank you.
Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by Di:
Hi Stoney,

I understand what your saying about sunscreens.
I'm sure what you put inside shows on the outside. I'll look into the supplement. Another one to add to all of mine too. Laughing

Thank you.

Di, I know what you mean..LOL!

I alternate in Krill Oil as my Omega 3 a couple of months a year which is high in astaxanthin...taking the krill only in lieu of the supplement.

Any carotenoid rich food (red, orange, yellow, green) fruits & veggies are beneficial as nature's sunscreen. Lycopene found in cooked tomatoes is another powerful sun protector. I drink my homemade tomato juice that I preserve from the season before to notch up the protection.

Also watermelon is an easy no-brainer for summer sun protection. It is a good source of lycopene.

Explains why me Beagle never gets burned... Laughing
Picture of stoney
Yes Di, I think if you have a diet filled with high carotenoid consumption, then Day Cover & Copper Sun are adequate.

But you have to eat them consistently each day. I was always a fan of fresh carrot juice when I spent my time in the tropics. All leafy greens, orange & red fruits & veggies will aid in sun protection. The more intense the color, the more beneficial. It can't be hit or miss though when it comes to a good diet...

To cover myself & increase the protection, I also take chlorella & astaxanthin as they are powerful anti-oxidants & free radical scavengers. Beneficial for more than just guarding from damage caused by the sun.

Picture of Di
Thank you Stoney Thumbs UP!