Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Perspiration resistant sunblock Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I perspire heavily in hot weather, so I need a sunblock that is perspiration-resistant. I also want a sunblock that contains zinc and titanium. Unfortunately, I cannot find a perspiration-resistant block that contains un-micronized zinc and titanium. All the perspiration-resistant ones are chemical only.

If I add powdered zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to a perspiration-resistant sunblock, will the modified product still be perspiration-resistant?
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Kitty I don't know is this will help or not. I play golf a couple of times per week and use Sunscreen/block on the face and around the eyes.

I've tried Glymed, Neutrogena and some brand called Sport Block. All of them ran in my eyes when I perspired. The only thing that hasn't run in my eyes is the Daycover.

Of course the Daycover IMO is a little too weak for serious sun protection. What I have done is make several different variations by adding my own Titanium Dioxide: Regular Daycover plus add Titanium which is 1%, 3% version, 6% version and 10% version.

I would just gradually add TD to find out how pasty it would be. I found at 3% I'm not really pasty, 6% somewhat pasty and 10% very pasty. Of course its going to be different for everyone and there is the balance point between pasty vs protection.

Please let us know after your first peel. You've studied and researched so hard on the subject will just be curious about what your thughts are on the peel.

BW Maxx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,
Picture of Rossana
I usually add a lot (probably 10% or more) of titanium non-micronized powder to a oil-based lotion to use in the rare cases that I do outdoor sports in hot mid-day sun. The product of course makes my skin pasty, but I don't care.
I noticed that even if I sweat a bit, the white is still there when I finish doing sports. However I have to say I sweat very little on the body, I almost only sweat on the face. I happened to do hours of hot yoga (at 105 deg and 80% humidity, which causes a lot more sweat) with that pasty layer on the skin, and the layer was all gone afterwards. While exercising, I could see drops of sweat mixed with white titanium powder dropping down. But that kind of sweating is really heavy, I dont think anyone in normal conditions would sweat that much, it is kinda like jogging in august at noon in Florida.

I think unfortunately anything that sits on the skin (that is the safe sun screen) do have the problem that they are PARTLY removed as you sweat. But you are likely to have some that is left on the skin and still offers you protection, assuming you are not sweating in a way that you are like you have just taken a shower, like I do during hot yoga.

I think, however, that it helps if you add the titanium powder to a lotion that has little oil, so that the overall product will be fairly "dry". It seems to me when you make it oily, it makes a slippery layer on the skin and comes off faster.

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Thanks Rosanna and Maxx.

I hate using sunblock because I always know that something is on my face.If I did not have to use retin-a and acids to keep my skin clear and remove scars, I would not really worry about sun exposure. But I know from personal experience that acid-treated skin is damaged much faster from even reasonable amounts of sun, even with darker skinned people.

I will try adding zinc and titanium to a non-greasy, perspiration-resistant sunblock and see how that works out.
Picture of Rossana
You could also add them to a normal non-sunblock lotion, as titanium and zinc together offer excellent protection by themselves. The risk with a commercial sunblock is that you will have chemicals that penetrate the skin and break down under UV action, especially if perspiration resistant (I guess what they do is making the chemicals penetrate the skin quickly, which is the only way it can resist the sweat from the skin).
Also typically sunblocks are quite thick and greasy, which can be very unpleasant on the face.

I agree, sunblocks always give you that feeling of having something pasty on the skin, I hate them too.

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of oskyz
Maxx,

Why would you use Daycover + Titanium oxide when CopperSun is much cheaper than Daycover? Also, what about mixing the two?

What exactly do you order? Just Titanium oxide powder or a certain form of the powder.
I like the consistency of the Daycover better for the face The Copper Sun seems thicker, which I like on the body.

I bought Titanium Dioxide powder. Took the basic amount of TD in Daycover and Copper Sun which I believe is 1% and 2% then just calculated how much TD I would need to add, for a close approximation of the desired sun protection

I like Kitty dont like the feel of any Sunblock/Suncreen on my face. I only use Sun (Daycover/Copper Sun) on my days off during warm months and for the first few days after a peel. The other days exposure is minimal and I believe the morning and evening application of CP, on those days, will offer sufficient benefit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,