Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Zinc only sunscreen issues? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I live in Los Angeles and have seen a huge increase in age spots on the left side of my face/neck because of driving. In short, I need a good sunscreen! I really love the Devita zinc only, but it has hyaluronic acid in it, so I need to find something else.

Here's the ingredient list for MyChelle Dermaceuticals zinc-only sunscreen:

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: 13.5% Zinc Oxide (ZinClear™)
Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Coconut)*, Isodecyl Neopentanoate (Vegetable), Ethyl Macadamiate (Macadamia Oil), Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil*, Glycerin (Vegetable), Hydrolyzed Starch Phosphate, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Candelilla/Jojoba/Rice Bran Polyglyceryl-3 Esters, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate (Vegetable), Ergothioneine (L) (Amino Acid), Porphyra Umbilicalis (Red Algae) Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Phellodendron Amurense (Cork-tree) Bark Extract, Malic Acid (L) (Apple), Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lecithin (Vegetable), Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Glyceryl Isostearate (Vegetable Fatty Acid), Glyceryl Stearate (Vegetable), Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate (Plant), Behenyl Alcohol (Rapeseed Oil), Alcohol Denatured (Grain)*, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate (Salt), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Plant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut), Sodium Lactate (Salt). (*Certified Organic)

Is this a good choice? Is there a problem with using zinc only sunscreen with CPs?

Thanks!
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear SaveMySkin:

Last year when asked what ingredients may interfere with copper peptides, Dr. Pickart replied:

"Zinc Oxide in sunblocks is the most obvious. If ionic zinc is released, the zinc can compete with copper ion for binding sites on cells." - See: https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...861049316#3861049316

So it may be best to try a sunscreen with unmicronized titanium dioxide (without zinc oxide)... Doing a search on the forum might generate some good products, at least for investigation.

For example, see: Evaluate Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion - 9.1% Titanium Dioxide / No Zinc at https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...210083373#7210083373

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Thanks for this. The problem is that I believe only zinc oxide blocks UVA and TD does not. At least this is what my derm told me! I'm wondering if I wait after applying CPs and Emu for a bit if the potential problem with the zinc would be mitigated?
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear SaveMySkin:

What you can do is use your copper-peptide product at the opposite end of the day as your zinc topical (basically just use your CP at night).

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Great idea, but when should I use Exfol cream or lactic acid 10%? If I do the exfoliation at night too, when do I apply? Do I wait a certain amount of time before applying the CPs after? Is it a bad idea to apply the acids in the AM?

Thanks!
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear SaveMySkin:

You could use your Exfol or LacSal in the evening. Wait 20-30 minutes (or more) and then apply CPs lightly on top.

Some clients do apply mild hydroxy acids in the AM / We don't have a hard and fast rule on this, but others feel that hydroxy acids are best applied at night so as not to expose freshly exfoliated skin to UV rays.

However, our hydroxy acids are quite mild and depending on a person's activity during the day, a person may not really be exposed to direct sunlight for any extended period of time that would make this a concern.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Just try using out day cover.

Hi. I too want to use my zinc oxide sunscreen in the AM, and copper peptides at night, since titanium dioxide sunscreens make my skin itchy, however I don't seem to understand how this is possible.

Most of the time, sunscreens aren't washed off a person's face until the end of the day just before applying the copper peptides, so wouldn't there still be zinc ions in the skin? Or have the zinc ions left the skin by the end of the day, just when you are about to wash off the sunscreen before applying the copper peptides at night? I'm confused Confused

*bump*

"Most of the time, sunscreens aren't washed off a person's face until the end of the day just before applying the copper peptides, so wouldn't there still be zinc ions in the skin? Or have the zinc ions left the skin by the end of the day, just when you are about to wash off the sunscreen before applying the copper peptides at night? I'm confused "

...me too!! Anyone understand how applying at night after washing effectively separates zinc ions from copper peptides?
Picture of SkinBioTeam
I spoke with Dr. Pickart and asked him specifically if there would be a problem using a zinc based sunscreen during the day and at the end of the day washing your skin and using your copper peptides at night. He said there would be no problem at all with zinc ions interfering with your copper peptide use at opposite ends of day.

Enjoy your copper peptides!

Keep Smiling
~ TheSkinBioTeam
Picture of Dr. Pickart
The problem with zinc is that most people over use zinc and drive copper from their body. I think the large number of gray haired people in their 30s in the USA is a result of overusing zinc.

The ratio of zinc to copper taken into the body should be about 7 to 1.