Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Soy Pepetides in your products - are they GMO products?? Login/Join

Picture of Always Learning
posted   Report This Post  
Can SB find an answer for this. I read most of all soy products are Genetically Modified. So would that be true of Skin Biology skin care?

Also Clinique has changed their Light yellow moisturizer Dramatically Different ML and have added HA or one of the following, same thing:
Acide Hyaluronique, Ácido Hialurónico, Glycoaminoglycan, Glycoaminoglycane, Hyaluran, Hyaluronan,Hyaluronate de Sodium, Hyaluronate Sodium, Hylan, Sodium Hyaluronate.

They already have it as the main ingredient in Moisture Surge. And it has already been in the DDM Lotion in the gel form.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
They could be but the proteins are broken down into very small fragments (peptides) and any actions of the proteins are destroyed.

I don't recommend HA.

Hyaluronic acid (scientifically named "hyaluronan") is a sugar-like molecule that can bind huge amounts of water (1000-fold of its own weight).

When applied to the surface of human skin, it feels smooth and sensuous but will slowly wets the skin's outer protective proteins and damages the skin barrier. This can temprarily improve the looks of skin but does not help skin health. The outer layer of skin (what we actually see) is composed of keratinocytes. The signal that causes the skin to send new keratinocytes to the skin's surface is a dryness in the outer layers of the skin. Hydrating (wetting) the outer skin proteins slows or even stops the normal flow of keratinocytes to the skin surface. If the skin is kept wet, such as by using hyaluronan, the skin renewal is slowed and skin ends up looking older.

Skin Damaging Cosmetic Moisturizers are designed to push water into the skin and wet the outer skin proteins. Various detergents (but they may not be called detergents) and water-holding molecules such as hyaluronic acid often used to loosen the outer skin proteins so water can interact with them. But this weakens the skin barrier and lets in viruses, bacteria, and allergens.

In about 1997, there were studies from Denmark that found that oil/water skin moisturizers broke down the skin barrier. The concern was that this could increase infection in hospital patients. Since then, it has been found that

This means to skin is more slowly replaced and damage remains longer. Cosmetic moisturizers are designed to wet the outer skin proteins and push water into the skin to puff it up. Various detergents (but they may not be called detergents) are used to loosen the outer proteins so water can interact with them. The best example is the "cold creams" that women applied every night in the 1930s and 1940s. You may have seen these in old movies. Their skin was kept moist but the women ended with horrible wrinkles.

Various polymers of hyaluronan are used as skin injectable skin fillers. Injectable form of hyaluronic acid are sold as "not-from-animals" but they are from pathogenic bacteria. The FDA warns that the material contain small amounts of bacterial protein and this can produce allergic responses in time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,
Hi Skin Bio, interesting, reading this information about Hyluronic acid. Can you tell me if this info with cancer growth; does this apply to taking Hyluronic acid supplements, or is it just to topical serums ? Thankyou in advance.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
I doubt if HA supplements would be a problem.

But on the skin may be a problem as it wets the skin so much.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
I doubt if HA supplements would be a problem.

But on the skin may be a problem as it wets the skin so much.

Dr. Pickart, does this mean I should be avoiding products containing glycerin as well? I hear that glycerin attracts water as well.

If this is so, then what about putting on barriers onto our skin, such as emu oil, or squalane oil, mineral oil, dimethicone? Don't these cause moisture to not escape our skin too, and therefore keeping our outer layers of the skin wet, especially if used just after a shower in which case our skin proteins are completely wet?

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
In about 1997, there were studies from Denmark that found that oil/water skin moisturizers broke down the skin barrier.

Some of your creams on Skinbiology contain water and oils in them. How are they different from the ones used in the studies?

Please help me to understand this. Thank you, and I love many of your products and your forum, by the way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: copperenthusiast,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Glycerin is OK in low concentrations such as 1 to 2 percent.

I developed the basic creams used in the copper peptide creams. All the creams I developed worked in human clinical studies and the other creams are very similar.

The problem is that many creams use types of detergents, although they are not called detergents, that open up the skin.

Oils on the skin depend on the amount of oils. Squalane works very well by itself. You only need a very light amount of biological oils to help the skin.
That is good to know that glycerin is ok when used low, since products with it seem to make my skin so dewy!

It's good to know your creams have been tested and worked in human studies, that is very reassuring!

Sometimes I like to put more than just a "light" amount of your squalane on my face, but is this still ok? I actually like the feel of more oil on my face, even if you say only a little is needed, so I usually use a lot more. Or is too much suqalane or emu oil, or even celes oil counter-productive?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: copperenthusiast,
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear copperenthusiast:

Thanks for posting - Since each individual is different we leave the "light amount" recommendation up to each person to decide what is best for them.

Clients with drier skin do seem to love to apply the biological oils more liberally. And that is fine.

For most clients though, only a very small amount is needed. First try applying a light amount. Then if your skin feels like it would benefit from a bit more, apply a little bit more.

Those with oily skin may run into issues if they overuse CELES Oil - But for dry skin there's no problem.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Ok, great, thanks again for all the great info.